Chapter 13: Unfortunate Occurances

*Mikey's POV*

I could see Cara physically shaking as she dismounted the top tier of the podium.

"I had no idea. All these years, and I had no fucking idea," Derrick mumbled.

I watched her come to the top of the stairs, as an almost inaudible creak bounced around. And, though it sounds cliché, her body rippled before a deafening blow was heard. She tumbled down the stairs, and landed on her back.

"No, no nonONONONO! MY BABY!" Derrick blurted, over-coming the shrieks and rushed foot-steps.

He jumped over the wooden rail. I stood, blurr-i-ly seeing the officers escort the judge, Stone and the lawyers out of the room, leaving a select few behind. I went to his side.

"I'll be your strong little mo-"

I could see Cara still shaking. She... she was having a seizure! Red-tinted foam was developing on the corners of her lips. Derrick rolled her on her side.

"Cara? Cara? Darling?" I whispered, kneeling to be next to her.

"DO SOMETHING! HELP! HELP HER!" I wailed, desperately attempting to get anyone's attention.

"STOP, she's fine!" he explained, as her shaking stopped.

Derrick's wife was wheezing while making a phone call, presumably to 911. Derrick helped me lift Cara onto a rolling-chair. He held the gate as I rushed my dying darling from the hellish-court room.

I pushed the door open long enough for Cara's make-shift stretcher to slip through. I pushed her through the deserted marble hallways, listening the the staggered breathing of myself and others, and the rolling wheels from the wooden chair.

I saw a pile of officers on the ground, all shouting and one reading the Miranda rights. One officer noticed me, and started to help me.

"Is that the female shot in 6?" I nodded, and he picked her from the chair.

I heard thumping gradually get louder, and felt the pressure of Derrick's large hand on my back. I didn't move, as I didn't truly feel it. I now actually know what it feels like to be numb.

The officer handed Cara back to me, and handed Derrick an IV bag.

"I bandaged up her up, but didn't extract the bullet. It seems like it's still intact. The ambulance shou-" he stopped talking as the sirens increasingly grew.

I took off, pushing through the glass doors with my back; I held Cara's body tighter, wanting to feel the rise and fall of her lungs. I looked down, and viewed a few of my tears splatter against her cheek.

"She's so peaceful," I thought, brushing the hair from her face.

The curb started flashing with red and blue, and I merely was smacked by the opening doors. Two EMT's popped out, and were surprised to meet me at the road.

"Is this th-"

I cut off the question with my teary-eyed nod. The two pulled Cara onto a stark white stretcher.

"Do you want to accompany her?" the second EMT asked, prodding her with a few different instruments.

Derrick and Lisa plowed through the doors, and arrived at the back of the ambulance.

"He will," I smiled weakly, wiping the tears on the sides of my eyes.

"I'll what?" Derrick sniffled.

"Ride with the patient. Make a decision quickly, we don't have time!" the second EMT pressed, clapping his hands impatiently.

Derrick, without another word, tossed his keys to his wife, and jumped onto the bench in the back. He smiled and thanked me, as the doors slammed shut.

"It'll be okay. It'll be fine," Lisa soothed, rubbing my back as we departed from the ambulance.

"I just, I just. I really love her. I think I really love her," I cried.

"Have you told her that?" she asked, continuing to soothe my hormonal outburst.

"Yes, but it was so un-meaningful, and rushed. And I don't think I realized how much I really loved her," another wave of emotions wracked my body.

"I know, I know. But, even if she's unconscious, she can still hear you. Even if she doesn't hear you with her ears, she hear you in here," she poked my chest.

I thanked her, and jogged to my car. I set my head on the steering wheel. I let out a huge sigh, before swinging my arm to smack my leg.

"Stop feeling sorry for yourself. Focus on what matters," I started the car, and drove, not thinking clearly.

"Don't open the door unless you hear the knock... I'll be fine, I love you," her words played through my head.

I couldn't fathom the thought of her being a six-year-old using a first aid kit stored in her backpack. Using it on her broken brother, whom saved her. I remembered her, with a short brown bob, bouncing around the playground. She was friendly to everyone, even the outcasts, and yet she was outcasted in her household.

My car braking pulled me from my thoughts. I took a gander around me: The Kegler residence.

I got out of the car to knock on the door, when the vivid story unfolded before me. I pushed through the blood-splattered memory, and pounded on the door.

"Michael? Cara's not home right now," Her mother weakly told, hiding behind the door.

She reached out and wiped my face with her thumb, and pulled it back; blood.

"I know... she's on her way to the hospital," my voice cracked.

She gasped, tears instantly rolled from her eyes, and I pulled her into a hug.

"Grab your things and I'll take you," I whispered, smiling weakly.

She nodded, and I attempted to pull myself together as she rushed around. She came out with a duffle bag and her purse. She nodded, and I took her bag to the car.

The ride to the hospital was filled with our cries together. She was holding my hand and squeezing it.

"Why? Why? Why does it have to be my baby?" she wailed, hitting her back on the leather chair.

I explained what'd happened, and she cursed her husband repeatedly.

"I hope he burns in hell!" she screamed.

I agreed with her, and pulled into the parking spot where Lisa was waiting. She and Mrs. Kegler continued into the hospital, me jogging ahead of them with the duffle bag. I rushed through the sliding doors, in front of the front desk to Derrick who was sitting in the emergency room waiting room.

"How is she? Is she okay? Will she be okay? Is she out of the operating room? Where is-"

"I don't know, probably, I hope, no, and calm down. She'll be okay. I promise, and I never break promises. She's a strong little monkey. And she told me that she loved you," he breathed deeply.

It broke me all over again, and I started crying.

"It's my fault, it's all my fault!" I sniffled, falling onto the sleek white couch.

I heard the door creak open, and saw the sea-foam green mask dangling by a string on some fingers, on the inside of the door. I stopped bawling, wiped my eyes, and looked at the doctor, whose face wore a grimace.

"I have good and bad news..."

Authors Note:

Hey-hey bae-baes! I'm in love with this chapter, I think it truly shows you how much Mikey loves her, don't you think? What do you want to happen with her? How will she over-come her injury? Vote, comment suggestions and predictions, and add to the library! Follow me if you like, and add this story to your reading list! Thank you to all of y'all!

QOTC- What's your OTP?