Chapter 14: Daylight vs. Darkness

*Cara's POV*

I re-opened my eyes, only for them to be shrouded in darkness, similar to the last few days. I opened my mouth the shriek, but the breath was taken from my lungs. I sputtered, gasping for air, trying to shriek again. After about thirty seconds of sputtering, and contorting, I felt a tingling feeling in my chest.

"Breathe in, breath out," I repeated mentally.

I heard a fazing sound beating against the walls of my prison. The high squealing beeps covered with, what I presumed to be my wheezing. It echoed, the sobs bending the thick walls with each breath. The echoing grew more and more, and I just couldn't breathe.

"He's going to know; they're going to tell him," I opened my mouth to plead for help, and ended up with the same tingly feeling in my chest.

Fought with myself to open my eyes. Maybe my life depended on it, or was I dead? No, no. I felt a constraint on my hand. I felt like I was being picked up.

"They took me back, they took me back to testing!" I thought. "They'll kill me!"

I felt more and more pressure on my chest; I was now in a free fall. I overpowered my imprisonment and opened my eyes.

I squinted at the fluorescent lights, and glaring-shiny tile. I slid open a glass door.

"ICU," It read.

I walked into the room blindly, still adjusting from the days of darkness. How many days was I in there?

I looked around, hearing a ringing sound. My ears were still adjusting from the transition of altitude, I guess. I squinted around, trying to locate anything to take me home; those prison beds aren't comfortable at all! I walked a bit farther, and tripped over something. My butt-floor contact cleared my vision.

My mother was asleep in a chair, and she had her head on a pillow against a window. She must not've been home for a while, there weren't any new bruises. Wait, why was she in the hospital? Maybe Dad OD'd again.

I continued to scan the room, when some tubes popped from the tope blankets on a bed. I looked harder at it, stepping closer. I brushed a few strands of the-- terrible looking -- hair, and fell backwards.

"No, no!" I thought.

Why am I- Why's my neck wrapped? I felt up to my neck, and pulled away my fingers, after a burning sensation ripped through my nerves. There was blood on my fingers?

"She'll be fine," Derrick soothed, rubbing Mikey's back.

Mikey?

"Mikey? Michael?" I called, and he didn't answer.

I sauntered to his side, while looking apprehensively at myself. I touched his shoulder, and he shivered. I pulled back, and gasped. I sat on the side of my bed, looking at him, and he looked right through me. I leaned in to kiss him, and he began to talk as I kissed him.

"I can still feel her with me," he groaned.

He leaned forward to grab my hand, which he was holding, with the other. Then I realized that I wasn't real.

I started to feel tight-chested, and I felt myself being pulled back. The many machines I was hooked up to started wailing, and I started spazzing.

"I thought I was done wi-" I couldn't breathe.

I saw the deep crimson-foam and I knew this would be it. Derrick pressed the nurse call button, and a swarm of nurses separated my family from me, encasing me.

"MY BABY! NO, NO NO! HELP HER!" my mother screeched, clawing to hold my hand.

Derrick started to make noises while he fell apart, leaning on the white wall, and sliding into the fetal position. Mikey sat there, not making any noise, and not crying.

He was too broken to cry.

I knew the feeling. I clawed onto his shirt, whispering things that he couldn't hear. I talked about how he'd get through this; how we'd get through this. I hugged him, burying my nose into his old shirt. I could smell a bit of age on it, along with his cologne. He obviously hadn't left my side.

I was dragged from him, behind my body. I noticed a light which connected us, and pulled me along. The women were pressing more needles into me, trying to contain my wild seizure. They pushed me into an operating room, and I was pushed into my dark cell again.

---------- Time Lapse -------------

I opened my eyes again, this time for real. I went to move, but I felt to heavy to move. I looked at Mikey, still in the shirt, which had a few coffee stains on the neck.

My eyes scanned his face, and it seemed filled with worry, even in his sleep. He shuddered, and I looked up to see his body wracking with sobs.

"It's m-my fault! All my f-f-fault. She's never g-going t-t-to wake up, s-so neither should-d I," he stuttered.

I moved his face with my hands, bringing it to my lips. I kissed down from his forehead, to his nose, to his lips. I stopped theres, and continued to kiss his lips. He woke up, and gently pushed me back.

"I love you," he gasped.

"Sure you do," I teased.

"No, I'm serious," he pulled our hands up, and kissed the back of mine. "I really, truly love you," he explained, burying his eyes in mine.

"I love you," I smiled, and we mutually leaned in for a kiss, which would've proceeded if my heart monitor hadn't squealed.

"I love you so much that you make my heart race," I whispered and blushed, before a nurse pulled back my sliding-glass door.

"Miss Kegler, I'm glad to see you're awake. That speeds up your release time. I'll grab the doctor and your mother and uncle. I'm afraid that you'll have to leave the room for the discussion, Mr. Murphy," she turned and walked out the door. My smile dropped, as I realized what was about to happen.

No one can protect me.

Authors Note:

Hey guys, It's Luke! And today, we'll be talking about how much of a horrible author I am! First off, NEXT CHAPTER WILL HAVE A REALLY BIG THING AND I'LL TRY TO UPDATE TOMORROW And I'M SORRY THIS CHAPTER SUCKED. Thanks to all of you supportive and active readers out there, who are rad enough to tell me to get my shit together. I've been really busy with school work, and it's only the first week! (P.S. A moment of silence for all who started school this week!) As always, vote, comment, add to your library and reading list, and of course, follow meeee! Thank you, all of your beautiful faces are perf. I appreciate all of you, and thank you sincerely! Are you still enjoying my book?

QOTC- What is your favorite class in school?