ii

Did I hear that right?

Did he just ask me to pretend to be his girlfriend?

"Sorry what?" I asked.

"While she's here with her fiancé, I'm going to look pathetic if I don't have anyone." He said.

"I don't know if you've noticed but I'm awkward." I said, panicking for some reason. "I'm not something she'll be jealous of."

"Well, it's not like you're the prettiest girl out there.." He started.

"What a great start to the sentence." I said sarcastically. I didn't even realize but now I was pacing around the garden.

"But there are people who can make you look better." He said.

"That's not the only problem." I said, a little louder than I intended.

"Well then, what else?" He asked.

"I already told you I'm awkward." I said.

"Well, some people find that endearing." He said. "Who knows? Maybe people will think you're cute?"

"I still don't feel comfortable doing this." I said, sitting back down on the bench.

He came and knelt in front of me.

"Please. It's just for a week. And at the end, I will do anything you ask me. I'll double your pay." He said.

"Why do you even care if she's getting married?" I asked. "You're not together anymore. Just live your life."

"I know for sure that she's bringing her fiancé to rub him in my face. I need her to know that she's not the only one who moved on so fast and found somebody else." He said.

"Technically she is though." I said.

"But only you and I know that." He said. "So can you do it?"

"Alright." I gave up. "But we're ending this the moment she leaves, not a minute late."

"Yes ma'am." He said. "By the way, we're gonna have to tell my parents before they arrive so be prepared for that."

What did I just get myself into?