Coming back to an empty house is normal. I've grown accustomed to silence and the soft noise of my own footsteps. With how often I was home alone it sometimes felt like I've moved out of my father's home. I already feel like I live alone, that's because I do.

My father's time is spent at the MRC, Moonchild Rehabilitation Center. He is there all day, everyday, except for a few hours on sundays. But sometimes he doesn't even come home then, but I didn't mind. I resented my father for the work he did, his work is wrong, it's torturous. Growing up he would constantly have to scold me for my 'corrupt thoughts' about moonchildren. As a young girl I saw Mother Moon as a goddess, she was my idol. She still is a woman I'm infatuated with, so much so I painted a rendition of her onto my wall. I see moonchildren as people, there is no reason not to. We believe innocent until proven guilty yet we are so quick to convict entire groups of people of uncommitted crimes, all because of fear. Fear of the unknown and arrogance toward trying to learn.

I walked through the big red door of my home. My leather boots clicked across the hardwood floors while I walked through my living room. Stripping from my scarf and thick jacket I ran a hand across my sweet old cat Jadu. She was a sweet soul, she enjoyed the simple things in life and I often found myself wishing to live like her. In the cold months she curled up next to the fire and she slept on my feet, while in the warm months she laid in window sills soaking in the sun and watching the clouds dance across the sky. My life would be more enjoyable if I were living as my beloved calico cat.

I grabbed the stack of mail resting on the coffee table, seating myself next to Jadu. She stretched her body out letting out a yawn before laying against my thigh, quickly falling back into a deep sleep. All the mail was addressed to my father except for a single letter on the very bottom of the pile. To Mrs. Asteria. From The Art's Academy of Seoul. My eyes went wide as I let out an inaudible squeal so I wouldn't scare Jadu. I looked at the envelope in my hands imagining what the letter on the inside is going to say. One can hope and pray for an acception letter, but there are always the talented that aren't talented enough. I fear because my application went in so late in the year perhaps all the spots were filled before my application even made its way to the school.

"Open it." I said to myself before flipping the envelope over, bringing my fingers to tear the glued paper. I paused, breathing deeply before I ripped open the pale yellow material, inside sat a perfectly folded white letter. The paper was thick in my hands, it felt expensive and I felt sophisticated as I undid the fold revealing the pages covered in black ink. I couldn't bring myself to read the first sentence, because that's when my dreams either begin or they die. I'm not sure I'm ready to have my hopes crushed, but I'm ready to move on from my high school career. "Three, two...." I closed my eyes tight, peeking through my left eye eventually. "One."

It is with great enthusiasm that I write to congratulate you on your admission to the spring Class of 2022. Welcome to The Art's Academy of Seoul.

I jumped up from my seat causing Jadu to fall into the crack of the couch cushions. I jumped up and down my boots snapping against the wood.

"Jadu I did it! I got into my dream school! Do you know what this means?" I scooped her up into my arms before dancing around the living room with her. She meowed in annoyance because I had disturbed her peaceful sleep but she let me dance with her as she went limp in my arms. "Jadu I finally get to do something more with my life than serve snotty rich people at an over priced cafe. This is cause for celebration, are you thinking vanilla or strawberry?" I look at down at her big brown eyes that were staring back into mine and nodded. "Strawberry. I love your mind."

I put my jacket back on after I placed Jadu back in her rightful place on the couch. I watched as she curled up in the fuzzy blanket thrown lazily over the cushions before walking back outside to meet the cold winter air. It had snowed last week and the winter wonderland had sadly all melted by now. Hopefully it snows again during Christmas, nothing makes a Christmas spent with you cat better than snow.