Chapter Ten

Kenzlyn let out a low groan as she felt the morning heat dance across her face. She noticed it was awfully quiet besides hearing Clarice taking loud steps towards them

"Where's Ike? Hey! Where's Ike?," Clarice says as she cocks the gun and nudges Jackson's head with it.

Jackson sighed while shaking his head
"Maybe you should keep your voice down in case somebody else is out here," he suggested to her

Clarice sneered," and maybe you should kiss my Texan ass," she said before walking out.
"Ike!"

Jackson looked around," where's Bud?," he asked and you could see that his expression he was really scared of what could or did happen to him.

Kenzlyn who was worried squeezed Jackson's arm,
"Oh no," she said as they ran outside.
"Ike! Ike!," they could hear Clarice yelling in the distance.

"Jackson! Kenzlyn! This is our chance. Let's run," Lizzy says breathing heavily in panic.

Jackson looked at her," if she finds Bud, she's gonna kill him," he said taking Kenzlyns hand and runs off in the opposite direction of the way Clarice went.

"Bud can take care of himself," Lizzy exclaimed but they weren't having it and kept going. She had no choice but to follow them.

Kenzlyn gasped coming to a halt beside Jackson as they saw Ike's dead body
"Whoa stop!" Jackson said as Lizzy stopped

Breathing heavy she looks at him," what?"

Jackson shook his head," you don't want to see it," he said as he walked into the ditch with Kenzlyn who knelt down beside Bud
"Bud, you okay?" Jackson asked seeing Bud move. He looks to Ike's body and could not describe how relieved he felt.

"What did you do, big guy?,"he said softly bending down to help him up.
"Come on I got yah", he grunted.

Kenzlyn looked him over," let me get a look at you," she says.
Bud grunted as she checked him over," yeah, your okay, come on. Kenzlyn we need to go," Jackson said helping them out.

The walk back took a while as Kenzlyns wound reopened when she accidentally tripped over a rock she hadn't noticed was right in front of her.
Jackson held her around the waist and stopped when they heard Clarice scream out cops!

"Cops! Fucken' cops!" She yelled as they see her running down the hill from the trees.
Jackson pushed them towards a bush to hide behind
"Shit! Hide! Go, go, go, go on," he hurriedly told them.
Kenzlyn whimpered a bit," it's okay," she heard Jackson whisper in her ear.
"Holy shit," Jackson said with a glare towards the sheriff walking down the hill, he could feel Kenzlyn stiffen

"Who is he?" Lizzy asked out of breath

"Rounds up kids like us. Bad news," Jackson said angrily squeezing Kenzlyns hand that was placed on his thigh.
They hear Clarice scream as the sheriff fired his gunshot at her.

Lizzy exhales as she shakes her head," he can help us!"

Kenzlyn covered her ears shaking her head.
"Yeah a policeman that broke my nose once. And put Kenzlyn in a coma for three months. For no reason," Jackson angrily tells Lizzy," he filled Gorman house almost single- handedly," he shook his head.

Hartman shot Clarice in the head after a few words were exchanged between them and Kenzlyn whimpered seeing everything.
"He never had mercy,"Kenzlyn said as Lizzy quickly shoved Jackson away," let go of me,"she struggled running away.

Jackson, Kenzlyn and Bud who followed had quickly ran after Lizzy. They reached the top of the hill but halted when they saw a dead deer, that was covered in maggots and flies. They could hear dogs barking, as the sounds got closer.

"Shit! Dogs!", Jackson says looking deep in thought.

Kenzlyn tapped his back getting his attention," I may have an idea," she says.
Now let me tell you that you do not want to know what they did to get inside the belly of the deer. But
Kenzlyn had laid on top of Jackson, so that Bud and Lizzy would fit in.

"The deer smell would be able to keep the dogs off our scent," she stated firmly as the blood of the deer matted her skin. She gagged a little.

Jackson moved his hand forward and stabbed a hole into the side to see where and what direction the sheriffs went.
"Clear," he said as they all crawled out one by one!

Lizzy was the first to start walking as soon as she was able to stand on her feet.

Kenzlyn, Jackson and Bud had began following her
"I'm sorry," she whispered to Jackson not being able to look at him.

Jackson too hold of her hand," you did good, Kenz," he softly says.
They looked ahead to see a river Lizzy had rinsed her face from. They bent down near the river and Jackson helped Kenzlyn as she got some in her eyes. As soon as they were done they quickly followed Lizzy.

They kept walking in the middle of the Texan lands. Kenzlyn saw a sheriffs car but it was too late, Lizzy noticed and began yelling for them to stop.
Jackson and Kenzlyn chased after her with Bud behind them.

Somehow Bug had got ahead of them and went towards the sheriff," Don't you fuckin' move," he yells pointing his gun directly at him. He ends up firing and the bullet hit Bud in his left shoulder.

Kenzlyn screams along with Jackson who had ran ahead to stop the sheriff but it was too late, the man shot Bud in the head.

Jackson got to the sheriff and blocked the hand with a gun to the side as he fired.
Jackson punched the sheriff, then dragged him angrily towards the car door opening it and repeatedly bashed the door on the mans head. Which instantly killed him.

Lizzy had tried to stop him but shoved her inside the car.
Kenzlyn cried as Jackson pushed her inside the back of the car. As Lizzy began driving off Jackson quickly got in. Kenzlyn held onto him crying.

"Bud," She sniffled and that was all Jackson needed to hear as he started kicking and punching the dashboard.

"They fucking killed Bud! Fuck! Fuck! Fuck! Fuck! Fuck! Fuck! Fuck!," Jackson repeatedly shouts as he angrily punched the dash.

"Fuck! Why'd you runaway!! Why the fuck did you runaway?!" He yelled at Lizzy who looked at him fearfully. Kenzlyn sobbed, she couldn't really believe her best friend is dead.

Lizzy shook her head in disbelief," you're insane, you just killed that cop," she said.

Kenzlyn put her head down and covers her ears," you got Bud killed! You got Bud fucking killed," Jackson continued on yelling frantically.

"Fuck! Fuck! You're just like everybody else. You fuckin' liar. Why'd I let myself and Kenzlyn think you'd be any different. Fuck," he cried out.

The glass shattered and Kenzlyn ducked down with a yelp
"It's Hartman! Drive! Drive!," Jackson yelled covering his own ears.

Kenzlyn whimpered leaning down to cover her ears.
"Kenz....Kenz," she could hear Jackson yell but her eyes closed and she fell into a pit of darkness.