15

I proceeded down to the morning meal, my mind reeling with everything Jack had said. Oddly, I wasn’t thinking about training and fighting for The Recovery; that was something I was hard set and decided on. The thing I was pondering so acutely was the fact that Jackson had shared so much about himself. He had brought down a wall I had never been behind before, an even deeper level than the one who took me flying in the lobby and slept by my side for a night. Jack had divulged parts of his past to me and had also shown an uncharacteristically large amount of compassion, something Jack had hidden in other instances hurriedly. I couldn’t make sense of him and I doubted I ever would.

I was still a bit early for breakfast but only waited about ten minutes before others began filing in, standing about to chat or taking seats at the long tables. The usual group of teens came in, I the only girl thus far because Sicily and Nessa were cooking, and crowded around our usual table. I hesitated to join them, knowing Jack was there too. He was talking to WilTucker and Jameson, his back towards me, as I leaned against the wall by the door. I was almost positive if I were to join the group I would receive the usual cold shoulder from Jack when he was amongst his friends

Finally the meal was served, Nessa and Sicily joining the group and then I did too. Us three girls were sat on the end, palpable tension between Nessa and I. It was a slow going meal, two people at the table having strange feelings towards me at the moment.

As my plate became emptier, my earlier nerves set in again, my worry over starting to train today and the fear of failure churning my stomach slightly. I didn’t doubt my own abilities of strength, I had built up large muscles for a girl during my years of self sufficiency, but I had never wielded a weapon but my own simple knife, and even that I had never thrown, it was simply for moments of self defense, for slicing or stabbing at an assailant as I had tried when targeted by The X. Technique was going to be something new to me and I could only hope it was something I would be able to pick up quickly.

As we all were putting our dishes on the table to be taken into the kitchens, Brody turned to me. “So you’re joining us in training today, right?” he asked. I wondered who he had heard it from; Jack or Gavin.

“Yes I am!” I tried to sound more excited than nervous.

“It’ll be loads of fun; we’ll teach you everything you need to know!” I was glad Brody had confidence about this.

An arm got tossed around my shoulder then, Tucker coming up behind me. “What’s up over here?’ he asked nonchalantly.

“Essie’s joining us during training today,” Brody told him.

“I am,” I said to the muscular boy.

“Awesome, we’ll teach you some moves.” Tucker reassuringly squeezed my shoulder. He could tell I was nervous.

Another person joined us, his deep voice making me jump, as I had not noticed him on the far side of Tucker. Brody jumped too, doing a double take in surprise at who was speaking. “So Essie, you are joining us,” Jackson stated, subconsciously reaching out and brushing Tucker’s arm off from around my shoulders. I don’t think Tucker even noticed the subtle action, using at as a cue to leave the hall and head next door. Our little group who had been chatting all went together, the others still cleaning up after the meal.

Tucker pushed open both the doors to the training hall, making my entrance over dramatic. Jack rolled his eyes beside me and strode off towards the mat where I had seen him and Will sparring before, taking long steps to the far wall where weapons hung and pulling his over sized broad sword down. It was hung high up, closer to the ceiling than others, but he had no trouble retrieving it.

“So,” Tucker began, pulling me from my observations of the confusing boy, “we need to find you a weapon.”

He glanced about the room, taking in the different areas that were set up and pertaining to a different piece of deadly invention. “I see no other way than process of elimination.”