Chapter Three

Nikki walked up the stairs. She smiled as she remembered last night. She and Max had stayed up until three in the morning talking before Nikki went home. She was tired as heck, but satisfied to have someone to talk to for once. She skipped down the hallway and banged on Max's bars. He sat up and rubbed his eyes. Nikki realized she had woke him up. "Sorry, I'll go-". "No, it's fine.", Max said with a smiled. Nikki blushed and rolled her eyes. "What do you need?", he asked. Nikki sighed, "Just checking on ya.", she said. Max smiled. "Well I didn't know you cared about me so much Princess.". Nikki blushed and shook her head. Max laughed. "Well see you later, Princess.", he said and laid back down. Nikki sighed and walked away, why did he always have to call her that? She slid down the railing on the stairs, really cheerful for some reason.
Nikki fell back into her chair, making it spin around on its wheels. She sighed, she felt her blood rushing to her face. Her coworker/friend, Cady, walked through the door and looked at her. She gasped and dropped her bag. "OMYGOSH NIKKI!", she said. Nikki looked at her and smiled. Cady ran towards her. "WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME YOU HAD A CRUSH!?", she yelled. Nikki's shushed her and shook her head. "I don't have a crush, this isn't high school. Remember my oath?". Cady groaned and rolled her eyes. "That 'you would never date another human again'.", she said, annoyed. Nikki nodded. "And I don't plan on breaking it anytime soon.", she said. Cady sighed. "Fine, but who is he?". Nikki shook her head. "I told you I don't have one!", she said. Cady rolled her eyes. "You can't fool me, Nikki. Just tell me!". Nikki sighed. She had to come up with something, or she'll lose her job. "Um, his name is...Neil!". Cady gasped. "Really!? Like that crazy inventor that has a lab across the street Neil?". Nikki had no idea who that was, but nodded. Cady squealed. She put her finger on her lips. "I won't tell a soul.", she said with a wink. And with that, Cady skipped happily down the hall and out of sight.
Max sighed and felt his face. It was burning hot. He sighed. The prisoner across the hall laughed. "You're falling for her, aren't you!?", he said, still laughing. Max sat up and glared at him. "NO IM JUST A REALLY GOOD ACTOR!", he yelled before slamming back down on his hard pillow. He sighed again, becuase he had just lied to that man...and himself.
Nikki knocked on Max's bars. He looked up from his book, which was a cookbook he found in the library. He smiled, "What's up Princess?", he asked. Nikki blushed. She unlocked the door and slipped inside. She sat down on his bed and handed him a cookie wrapped in plastic wrap. Max stared at it. Nikki smiled. "I saved you one from the break room.", she said. Max smiled. "Thanks, Princess!", he said. Nikki smiled, "No problem, I also got you something else.". She pulled a white mug of from behind her back. "Here's a VIP mug, gives you access to the coffee machine down the hall.", she said handing the mug to Max. Max stared at them. "Thanks...", he said, speechless. Nikki smiled and stood up. "You're welcome, have a nice sleep!".
Nikki skipped down the hall and out of sight. Max stared at his mug and cookie. He smiled. He unwrapped the cookie and broke it in half. He ate one half and wrapped the second back up. He put the half onto his mug and slid it under his bed. He laid down to go to bed and sighed. Why did she have to be so nice? This was supposed to be easy, but Max had a feeling that dumping her is gone be harder then he thought.