Chapter Seven

Nikki knocked on the door. She held her breath. She was standing in a old, dirty, stinky hallway of a cheap apartment building. After a moment, the door swung open. Her mom Candy stood there, wearing nothing but a huge shirt that definitely didn't belong to her and a full face of makeup. She smiled. "Oh sweetie, it's been too long.", she said hugging her daughter. Nikki hugged her back. "Hi mom, I have something to tell you.". Her mom quickly pulled away and looked at her, scared. "Please don't tell me you're pregnant!". Nikki blushed. "No mom! I'm not pregnant!". Candy sighed of relief. "Thank goodness, come in and explain.".
Candy sipped her tea and examined her polished nails. "So you're telling me you fell for a prisoner, tried to run away with him, turned out he was a douche, cops are looking for you, and you need to hide here?". Nikki nodded. She was sitting in a old armchair. Everything in her mom's apartment was dusty and dirty. The curtains were closed so the room was kinda dark. Only lit by one lamp. Candy sighed. "Nikkolete, I'm glad you are starting to trust boys again but a prisoner? You should know better.". Nikki wanted to roll her eyes, her mom was so hypocritical. "At least I haven't slept with every man in the country!", she said. They laughed. "Yet...", Candy mumbled. She looked at Nikki. "Honey, we're gonna be stuck in here for who knows how long, we haven't hung out like this for years. Now that you're a little more mature, would you like to try out some pretty things?". Nikki sighed. "Mom I don't need to look pretty!". Candy laughed. "Oh sweetie, you're already beautiful. But sometimes woman are hard on themselves and want to look even better.". Nikki rolled her eyes. "Come on mom, I'm happy with the way I am. Can't we bond over something else?".
Candy sighed. "Of coarse. I have a TV, and we can talk.". Nikki nodded. "Okay then, who's shirt is that?", she asked. Candy looked down and laughed. "Oh last week a guy I met at the bar forgot his shirt here, but I haven't heard from him since so it's mine now. It's a bit tacky though...". Nikki laughed, she thought the fact that her mom slept with every guy who would buy her a drink was funny. Candy laughed too. "So, just asking, but have you lost your virginity yet?". Nikki blushed. "WHAT NO!", she yelled. Candy giggled. Nikki sighed. "Mom, I'm not like you, I want to find someone special before I do...that.". Candy rolled her eyes. "By the sounds of it, that Max kid sounds pretty special to you.". Nikki blushed harder and shook her head. "Mom I thought I told you that I never want to see him again!". Candy laughed. "Whatever you say sweetie.".
Max paced his cell. It was late at night, or early in the morning. He didn't know. He didn't care. He just wanted Nikki. More then anything. He would do anything to see her again. Everyone around him was fast asleep, but sleep was out of the question for Max. He had to find a way out of there, he couldn't let Nikki go. He looked around. He pulled his coffee mug from under the bed and examined it. It was the only tool he had, but how could he use it. He looked around some more. Then he felt something sharp stab at his finger. He looked down. A small blade had ejected out of the handle. Max smiled. Nikki knew him too well. He snapped back and remembered what he was doing. He ran to the door, reached his hands though the bars and attempted to pick the lock with the blade. It popped open. Max sighed happily and ran out the door. He slid down the stairs and dashed out the door. He knew he wouldn't get anywhere wearing a prison uniform. But he didn't have a choice, it was pitch black outside, nobody would really notice if he stayed out of the streetlights. He ran as fast as he could. He had no idea where Nikki was, he slowed to a stop. In front of him was a tall familiar man. Max gasped, it was that one guy that he didn't know the name of. He smiled down at him. "Hi Max, I'm Neil.". Max slowly backed away. Neil laughed nervously. "Don't worry I won't touch you, I want to help you find Nikki.".