chapter one

―*―  

  ―*―  

Everyone has a story to tell.

Every story has it's beginning, and it's ending.

Some people would say that mine, isn't anything special.

Normal.

Other might, that it's just typical. Not real. Or however the hell that works.

I don't know man. They probably are right.

But, since you are already here, means that you want to know more.

Isn't?

I wish to assure that it's gonna be interesting for you, but this would be a lie.

Honestly, I don't know.

What I can tell you, is that this story isn't for everyone. That's for sure.

In fact..it hasn't even ended yet.

It's just the beginning of it.

It was Wednesday, the middle of the week.
12:31 pm. One of the September's first cloudy days.
I was smoking the Marlboro cigarette, making my way to her house.
The girl which I've met at my brother's party.

Exactly three days ago.

Today I have my day off, so I can finally pay her a visit. These last couple of days I couldn't let her out of my mind. Even I've tried..man, I've tried, but she still sits there stubbornly.
I even asked my brother, if he could give me some contact to her. Her address perhaps. Facebook, instagram..any type of contact. The reminder of his face expression has stucked in my head.

- "You? Asking?" - Stiles mumbled visibly amused with his typically raised eyebrows, and messy hair.

Yes, me asking. What's so weird?

Hopefully it was worth to make a fool out of myself, just for this damn contact. Of course at first, he wasn't really convinced. At all. My brother, I mean.

But as I mentioned him of the few favors that I did for him a time ago, well..Let's say it convinced him enough, and he finally agreed to spare me some information. It wasn't easy, but I succeeded.

Me and her didn't really talk at this party. Besides the introduction from Stiles's side, and few switched meaningless sights afterwards, I can easily say, that was it.

For her, at least.

My eye kept on her many times this night. There was something about this girl..what just made me curious. Into it?
Hard. Really fucking hard to express what I feel right now. Come on, this doesn't mean I'm gonna fall for this girl, isn't? Is just another girl. It has to be another girl. Nothing else.

Everyone who knows me at least a bit, can tell how hard it is to make me impressed, or even show a little bit of interest. Nah, it doesn't work this way. Not with me.

It's not how my system works.
I tend to don't expose too much of myself. With time I figured, that it's just the better way.

I kept staring. Once she actually send me a sight back, really shy one. My doing this night was to make her embarrassed in some way. I couldn't spot any reddish tone on her cheeks because of the damn neon lights, but I've noticed how she hanged few wisps of her ginger hair behind her left ear.

Wait, ginger? What's the proper name of it? Strawberry? Strawberry blonde, or something like that? Whatever. Let's say red.

I tried to forget. Focus myself a little while on my work with my father. Testing new guns, new techniques, making new plans with Ward for our upcoming missions.

It did work.

But he also couldn't be around too much lately, caused to his own problems, some things with his brother Seth, or whatever he told me there. I can't blame him. He really has been there for me many times. My best mate.

I could distract myself enough, I had no problem with that.

..Till I didn't find myself alone in my apartment. Then is when it all comes back.

Thoughts.

So, I guess this leads me to the point where I'm standing now.

In front of her house.

Lydia Martin's house.

I can't say that I feel anything special in the exact moment. I never really feel excited.
Should I turn around?

The fact that Mitch Rapp never looks back, stops me enough to keep standing there and hope for some shit.

I didn't really think anymore right now. I remembered well the number of her house. Having a good memory definitely happens to be useful in many times. 

Last chance man.

Now, or never.

I breathed out the last dose of smoke from my mouth, hitting the end of the cigarette with my index finger, to get rid of it. As it landed off somewhere aside, on the ground. My posture took confident, yet calm steps towards her house's door.

It looks solid. Kind of huge. Not too huge for a girl like her?
I imagined her living in some little apartment in the center.

My right hand raised in normal tempo, placing the same index finger on the doorbell's button, pressing it once in confidently way. Left veiny hand held on the door's frame, as I looked at the hour on my black watch.

12:40.

Few seconds.

Nothing.

I leaned my head, clenching the jaw with the sight focused on my white, slightly dirty adidas.
I'm a very impatient person. Waiting, for me is like a fucking torture.

More than a few seconds.

Still nothing.

So, I decided to do it again, but turns out it was not really needed, as the door has started to open lightly at my side. My sight began to slowly raise higher. Dark sight, focused as per usual.
Our eyes met for a longer second. My dark, with her green, shining ones.

The look on her face, was not something what I expected.

And I expected nothing.

  ―*―