Chapter 8

*Flashback*

"Colby, get away from the cake! You're not supposed to know that's there!" You yell at Colby.

"Oh, so it is mine. Are you throwing me a surprise party?"

"I, um, no! It is your birthday so you deserve a cake. That doesn't mean a surprise party. Pshhhhh."

"So it is a surprise party! You're the best! Thanks Y/N!" Colby says as he runs to his room. Sam walks into the kitchen.

"I may have spoiled the surprise party..."

"I told you Colby always has a way of finding out about his surprise parties."

"I know, I just thought I could be the one to sneak it past him for once."

"You tried, but you failed."

"I know."

*Current time*

Colby's birthday is coming up in a couple of days. I don't know what I should do, if I should celebrate or avoid it. He can't go uncelebrated, but I don't want to think of the pain. I don't want to put Sam through any more pain either. I don't know what he might want to do. Maybe I should just ask him.

You walk to Sam's room and gently knock on the door.

"Come in."

"Hey Sam, I have a question."

"Is it about Colby's birthday?"

"Maybe.. I just wanted to know if we should try to like celebrate it or just leave it be."

"We can't not celebrate his birthday. We have to do something."

"Ok, that's all I needed to know. Thank you."

"What do we want to do for his birthday?"

"I don't know, let me think about it some. I'll get back to you."

You walk out of Sam's room and into Colby's.

"What should I do for your birthday, Colby? You always loved surprise parties, even though they weren't much of a surprise because you always figured them out. Should I throw a party? Would that be a good idea? Would people want to show up? Would you enjoy that? Or should it just be a small thing with all your closest friends? Me, Sam, Jake, Corey, Devyn, Elton, Aaron, Brennen. Would that make you happy? Would that be good for all of us? I think that would be a good idea. Just a party with all of your closest friends. Okay, Colby. I will do that."

You walk out of Colby's room and to your own. You pull out a pen and 7 pieces of paper. You begin writing, "Dear (Name), you are invited to Colby Brock's birthday party, January 2nd. It will be a closed party, invited members only. It will be a party consisting of all his closest friends. No need to RSVP, just show up at the house at 4:30. I thank you for your time and hope you can make it to celebrate the life of Colby Brock on his 22nd birthday."

You write the same paragraph 6 more times, then proceed to go and hand them out. First you walk to Sam's room and knock on the door. You hand him the invitation.

"What's this?" He says, looking at it.

"It's an invitation to Colby's birthday party."

"Oh, ok. Cool."

"Yeah. Do you want to help me pass them out?"

"Yeah sure, give me a sec." He turns, grabbing a hoodie. It was one of Colby's 'Take Chances' hoodies. You smile sadly as he puts it on.

"Ok let's go." He says, walking out the door. You and him walk to Aaron and Jake's hallway.

"I'll give the invitation to Jake, you can give it to Aaron." You say, walking towards Jake's door.

"Are you sure? I mean, I could do it if you want me to."

"No, I'm sure, but thank you." You turn from Sam and knock on Jake's door. He answers the door and you immediately hand him the invitation. As he goes to take it, you still hold onto it. You and he make eye contact.

"What is this?" He says, pulling the invitation from your hands.

"An invitation. To Colby's birthday party." You say, staring at the ground.

"Oh."

"Yeah." You say as you walk towards Sam.

"Hey, Y/N, can I talk to you for a second?"

You subconsciously grab Sam's hand. "About what?"

"Oh, um, never mind." He says, disappointed looking at your and Sam's hands.

"Jake, I"

He turns into his room and closes the door.

"You don't need him back, he cheated on you, it's fine."

You and Sam continue to hand out invitations. You were still thinking of Jake the whole time, and Sam noticed.

"Are you okay, Y/N?"

"I'm fine."