Chapter 9

It's time for Colby's birthday party. All the people you invited are beginning to show up. Nobody knew exactly how to feel, because it is an interesting situation. And it was awkward, because Jake was here, and you still can't look at him without the pain wringing in your heart. But its okay, because Sam is here.

You walk over to Sam, who is sitting in the corner, while everyone else is drinking and conversing.

"Hey, Sam, how are you?"

"I'm... fine.. okay.." He couldn't find a word to use. "I just.. miss Colby so much." He looks up at you with tears filling his eyes.

"I know Sam, me too." You sit down next to him and give him a hug.

"Let's go eat some cake, maybe that will help cheer you up." You stand up and grab Sam's hand to help him up and lead him towards the cake. You cut both you and him a piece and head back to the couch. As you head back, Jake comes over to you.

"Hey, Y/N, can we talk for a second?"

"What do you want Jake?"

"Can we talk? Alone. please?"

"Fine." You follow him upstairs to your room.

"What do you want? Why did you bring me up here?"

He looks at you for a second, then grabs your face and kisses you. You pull away quickly.

"What are you doing?!" You yell, looking at him.

"I'm sorry. I just- miss you so much. And I want you back. Will you take me back? I'll change, I promise."

"Sorry, Jake. But I'm over you. Too little too late." You walk out of the room, and as soon as you're out of Jake's sight, you start running. You run to the back yard and break down. Sam notices and walks out.

"Y/N? What happened?"

"He asked me to take him back."

"Really? And what'd you say? No, hopefully."

"I said no, and that I'm over him."

"And are you?"

"Yes, I'm interested in someone new now."

Sam's eyes showed some disappointment. "Oh.."

"Yeah. And I still miss Colby. So much. I just, can't stop thinking about him. I need.. We need.. to get past this. Together."

Sam looks up from the ground. "Together?"

"Yeah, together. And maybe.. in more ways than one?"

"What do you mean by that?"

"I mean... Sam, would you like to go out with me?"

"I-" Sam looks surprised, and is speechless. "Yes!" He runs up to you and hugs you.

"Thank you! But we should probably get back in there and celebrate Colby's birthday."

"Right."

You and Sam walk into the house, holding hands, and start talking to everyone.

Maybe, just maybe, this won't be as bad as I thought. You smile to yourself as you look around. Not bad at all.