3

Braai- barbecue (putting raw meat over a fire)

I'm crossing the small, empty field, minding my own business and walking into the forest when my arm gets cut by a sharp branch.

"Shit."  I look down at the cut to see it seal up amideatly. No werewolf in the world heals as fast as me, in fact-sometimes I can't get hurt. Vampires are like statues and elastic bands at the same time. I'm incredibly flexible but with a hard enough hit I could crack like a porcelain doll, but with supper strength, and speed, and smell and sight and night vision and-

Okay, nothing like a porcelain doll but my point is- vamps have all these amazing abilities, flawless skin with not even a scratch, but if I fell off the grand canyon I would have a few cracks here and there.

I try wipe the branch with my blood off and apply sand to mask my scent. I should be fine though, if the pack patrol haven't found me yet, they won't find me now.

I venture deeper into the forest while eating a burrito and listen to music on my phone. I stole a power bank instead of the whole plug a cafè then going back an hour later hoping it wasn't stolen.

I'm not gonna lie, this persons play list isn't so bad.

🔱

I make it back to my spot ,on no man's land, an hour later.

I pull out the earphone and set then aside. I then start taking down my old hammock and putting up the new one. When I'm done, I tear up the old hammock and turn it into a water proof bag to put over my bag. I can smell the summer rain coming but I might miss it cause I'm leaving in a day anyway. 

Some time later the sun starts setting so I start up a fire to braai some meat I caught 3 days ago. Patroll never come this far so the light from the fire won't lur them in and by the time I get this fire up a hot, the smoke can barely be seen in the stark night sky.

By eight thirty, the fire is hot and well... burning. Wait, does fire burn? Then is water wet? But if water can't be wet because it's a substance that wets. So am I saying fire doesn't burn, it burns? Huh? So if I'm saying water isn't wet and fire doesn't burn, does that mean the chicken came first? But wouldn't make-

Just then I pick up on a scent.

No. It can't be.

But it is.

I was so preoccupied by my own thoughts, I hadn't caught the scent of pack members coming towards me till they emerged on the other side of the river.

Great.

Short. Sorry.