Chapter Three

Pic Is Rodney (Yum)

            Chapter Three

               Alex had something on his mind all evening. He wanted to know what Terry meant by how his attractiveness had anything to do with him sitting with Casey. He was just Casey’s new acquaintance. Were only beautiful people allowed to sit with him? Was he only there because he was considered attractive? Was this some sort of prank on the new very clueless kid? All of those questions plagued Alex’s mind until he got to school the next morning.

            He walked into his first class with a growing confidence and sat down in his seat. Of course chatter box Angela was ready to talk the minute he sat down. With thoughts banging around in his mind the way there were he wasn't sure that he wanted to hear Angela's meaningless chatter.

            “How was lunch yesterday? Do you like Casey’s friends? Are you going to sit with me today?”

            Alex thought for a moment and then answered each question. “Lunch was fine, I enjoyed myself. I like his friends well enough, but I don’t think they are all too keen with me sitting there. And I’m not sure Casey’s friend Rodney told me I wasn’t allowed to sit anywhere else because I was an ‘amusing little dude,’” Alex said with a little laugh at the memory.

            Rodney was quite a character, but so was Casey. They seemed to have the most personality out of any one at the table. And for some reason even though Angela was Alex’s new best friend at the school he couldn’t imagine sitting with her friends when he had the option of sitting with Casey and his friends.

            Angela’s pout was lost on Alex’s clear pools of blue, but the tone in her voice tipped him off. “Oh, okay. We can still talk during this class.”

             Alex smiled, trying to ignore the pout in her tone. “Yeah, we can. And you like to walk me to Biology 2, don’t you?”

            “Yeah,” Angela mumbled propping her head on her hand and sighed. How would Alex ever pick up that she liked him if he was sitting with the stupid outcasts of the school? Why would he sit there when he could sit with her and the other popular kids? It just didn’t make any sense to her at all. She would just have to try even harder while they were in class.

            The bell rang and Alex felt a surge of relief. Practically jumping out of his seat, he gathered up his books and walked swiftly out of the room, with Angela trailing behind him chattering away. Alex couldn’t handle another moment of her talking. He didn’t know what had come over the girl, she was giggling incessantly, and touching him whenever she got the chance. He wasn’t exactly a touch-me-not, but a boy can handle so much arm punching before he wanted to do a little punching of his own. But of course Alex didn’t say a word to Angela about her driving him up the wall.

            “Bye Ang,” he said leaving her in the doorway.

            He heard the soft roar of multiple conversations as he sat down and he wondered if he was somehow late. He sat down waiting to see if he would get lectured.

            “What’s wrong, Cruz? You seemed annoyed,” Casey said from beside him.

            Alex hadn’t even noticed Casey’s presence, so of course it made him jump a little when a voice you didn’t expect starts speaking it tends to scare a person. “Oh, it’s just Angela. She was being so.. weird.. today. I told her I was going to just be sitting with you- I hope you don’t mind –and she started rambling about uninteresting things and giggling and hitting my arm. My arm. Seriously, who does that?”