Chapter Two

I smile a little bit as I pull my Audrey Hempburn shirt on with a pair of Truce shorts. The shirt was only white with AUDREY written across the top of her shillouett and it looked sorta plain... so as I stare at my reflection, I pull on a black and white plaid blouse and a black bandana. Better, I told myself as I slip on my sketchers and my purple sunglasses.

"Kate!" my mom yells from the kitchen and I hold in the groan I was feeling, "I need you to go to the store and get some eggs for your dads breakfast," she says digging in her bag before placing ten dollars in my hand.

"Why can't Karry do it?" I ask before stopping myself, "nevermind... I'm sure she's buisy..." I say seeing her and a guy sitting on the couch rubbing up against each other. Gross, "I'll be right back..." I mumble turning on my heal and heading for the door.

By the look on her face, that was not the reaction she was looking for. It was as if she were rying to start a fight with me, but I guess the joke is on her.

The store wasn't that far away, only a few blocks, but by the time I was on my way back, it was already 8 o'clock and getting hot. Of course my make up would start to melt and that would NOT be good. No one wants to look at a pimple face...

"Look out!" someone shouts as something collides with the side of my head.

For a second I didn't feel the pain, just the shock of having something yell at me. But, then I felt it, though it wasn't that bad. It was only a soccer ball, and whoever kicked it was obviously not trying very hard... because I hadn't fallen over... but I had dropped the eggs, "SHIT!" I shout stomping my foot and letting out a long groan.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to hit you..." a guy walks up to me and grabs the ball of the ground, "there isn't a mark if that makes you feel better..."

"No! It does not make me feel better," I say as my voice cracks a little and I look down at the yellow goo all over the pavement, "he is going to skin me alive and then eat my meat for breakfast." I groan and cover my face with my hands.

"You mean the eggs?" he asks picking up the carton, "um... well... I can walk you back to the store... I'll pay for the next dozon... I swear," he says as he throws the carton in a garbage can.

"You don't have to do that," I say finally looking up at the boy, who just so happened to not be a boy... he had to be at least 17, "I'll be fine..."

"How did you get that bruise?" he asks as I turn to walk away.

I look down at the dark blue and black mark that covered the outside of my left knee and part of my calf, "Eh... you should see the other guy," I smile a little at him before tucking a piece of hair behind my ear.

He laughs a little, "Yeah sure... uh, I was serious about the eggs though..." he says tossing the ball back into his yard as he starts to walk with me.

"Just forget about it," I say waving my hand a little before tucking my fingers into my back pockets.

"I'd feel a lot better about it if you told me your name," he says crossing his arms a little and looking down at me.

I laugh, "I hate my name," I say shaking my head, "it's too British for an American." I joke as we stop at a stop sign.

"Should I make one up for you then?" he asks smirking a little.

"Oh boy," I say laughing and crossing my arms, "I don't know if I like where this is going," I smirk as we run across the street and stand in the shade.

"And where is that?" he asks taking a step closer to me.

I look up into his green eyes, and swollowed hard. I'd never felt this way about anyone before... This guy just made me dead meat to my dad, I don't even like him! And now, the thoughts that were coming to mind made even me blush, "I dunno... what's your name?" I ask keeping my stare steady as I lean on the tree behind me.