Chapter 8. The Feast

Ch. 8  I know, it's short... :P

 Legolas' POV

A few hours later, Theoden announced that the feast was going to be in half an hour. I went into my pack and grabbed one of my clean shirts and pants. I found an empty room and changed quickly. It felt so good to be in clean clothes again! After that, I went to the King and asked if he had any spare dresses that Enyala could wear. I knew she would appreciate clean clothes. Theoden gave me not only a beautiful dress, but a hairbrush and a bracelet as well. He told me where the washing rooms were, as well.

“Send my thanks.” he told me. “She fought for a man she did not know because he asked her to.”

“She fought because she knew you were right.”

“Mmm.” I thanked him and left.

“Enyala.” I said gently as I entered the room. She looked peaceful, lying there on the bed. Like she had not a care in the world. “Enyala.” I gently shook her shoulder. She blinked and opened her eyes. “The feast will be in twenty minutes.” I explained. “There is a washroom a few doors down. I helped her up out of bed and showed her to the wash room. “Here.” I said, handing her the dress and hairbrush. “I thought you’d be more comfortable in something clean.”

“Thank you.” She smiled widely and stepped into the room. I went to wait with Gimli, who was talking animatedly with Eowyn, King Théoden’s niece.

“Where is Aragorn?” I asked as I sat down.

“He went to go put on some fancy clothing.” Gimli told me. He went on talking with Eowyn until Aragorn returned, and then her eyes were only on him. Inwardly, I sighed. Aragorn should just tell her that he’s not interested. It would be so much simpler.

“How do I look?” came a voice from behind me.

“Lle naa vanima. (You look beautiful.)” I said with a smile. I knew that on the outside I looked completely calm and not shocked, but on the inside I was amazed! Green was definitely her color. Gimli’s eyes nearly popped out of his head. She was wearing an emerald green dress, which fit her perfectly. Her golden hair was brushed back over her shoulders and on her wrist was a forest green band. She blushed at the compliment.

“Theoden was most generous.”

“You look amazing!” Gimli exclaimed.

“Your beauty rivals that of even Galadriel!”

“Many thanks, Master Dwarf.” she said with a smile.

“Oio naa elealla alasse’. (Ever is thy sight a joy.)” Aragon told her. She curtsied and sat down, her eyes shining.

“This shall be a feast to remember.” She decided as we filed into the main hall.

“Tonight,” Theoden began. “Tonight we remember those who gave their blood to defend this country. Hail the victorious dead!” he cried.

“Hail!” we repeated. Once the true feasting began, Enyala whispered,

“Have you noticed that Eowyn can’t take her eyes off Aragorn?”

“I noticed. He should tell her now, before it gets too personal.” She nodded. From one of the tables, I heard Gimli’s great booming laughter.

“That’s not how it was, ye scoundrels!” he shouted goodheartedly to the Halflings. A few minutes later, he ambled up to Enyala and me. “How about you and I have a little wager, lad?” he asked. One of my eyebrows rose.

“And what wager would this be?” I asked, amused. He thrust a mug of ale into my hand. “First to fall loses!” he crowed. I shrugged and gulped it down. It wasn’t good, but it wasn’t bad either. We refilled our mugs. After a few more drinks, Gimli, who was thoroughly inebriated, shouted,

“That’s nothing! I can have twice tha…” I chuckled as he fell backwards, out cold. I felt absolutely fine. I didn’t feel drunk, or anything. From behind me, I heard that familiar tinkling laughter.

“You can’t best an elf!” I turned around, a smile on my lips.

“Especially this one.” She laughed some more, then, suddenly serious, laid a hand on top of my own.

“Legolas, I have a question.” I motioned for her to continue. “If Rohan is one of the major kingdoms, and we only have five hundred on short notice, how can we defeat Sauron’s armies? Even if the other kingdom, Gondor, has twice that, we will still be outnumbered. And who’s to say that next time they attack they won’t sent twenty thousand?” I sighed.

“There are more men, scattered across the mountains, but in general, we really don’t know. What we have to do right now is have faith in Frodo and Sam.”

“What happens after?” she asked. “If we do win, what then? I have nowhere to go.”

“Don’t worry.” I reassured her. “You can come home with me, or live in Rivendell, or any of the other Elven Cities. I’m sure they would accept you.” In that single moment, I realized something. The elf standing next to me right now accepted me, and understood me more than any of my friends, or even my father, ever had. And more than that, she needed a friend right now, when she was confused, and alone. And I could be that. “Don’t worry.” I repeated, putting an arm around her. “Tonight is a night for rejoicing. We can worry tomorrow!” She nodded and smiled, pushing the thoughts away. We sat down in some vacant chairs near the edge of the hall, away from most of the noise. For most of the night, she and I sat there, either talking quietly in Elvish, or sitting in a comfortable silence. Sometime during the night, she fell asleep on my shoulder. I wondered why she had appeared in the forest that day. Why then? Perhaps she was sent by the same people that sent Gandalf back. Perhaps. A few hours later, Aragorn wandered over.

“The feast is ending.” he muttered.

“Then I will excuse myself.” I stood and picked up Enyala, bringing her to the room from before. As I laid her down, her eyes flickered open.

“Quel du, Legolas. (Goodnight, Legolas.)” she mumbled tiredly.

“Quel du.” I replied.