Chapter 8: Home

"Family is suppose to be our safe haven. Very often, it's the place we find the most heartache."

-Iyanla Vanzant

Saturday...
...7:14 pm.

Elias had stopped what he was doing when he noticed a notification pop up on his screen. He wasn't surprised to see that it was Sunshine sending yet another text only two minutes after the last one.

You ready yet? 7:14 pm

Rolling his eyes, he continued to pack the rest of his clothes in his book bag. Sunshine and Elias had both agreed it'd be better if Elias just stayed over for the night. Though Elias had no idea what to expect, he would jump at the chance to avoid having to sneak in and out. Rainbow boy was able to get his mother on board. Now it was up to Elias to hold up his end and do the same.

His father wasn't home. Still, Elias tried to call him eleven times and left five messages asking if he had permission. He hadn't replied. Giving it one more try, he called his father. Waiting patiently through all the rings, he sighed when he was met with the familiar voice saying his call didn't go through. His only option was to ask Brie, but he felt uncomfortable. He'd never really talked to Brie, let alone ask her something.

Shoving his phone in his pocket, he zipped up his book bag, and left down stairs where Brie and Ava were making dinner. Well, Brie was making pot pies and Ava was distracting her with her babbling. When Ava noticed Elias at the bottom of the stairs, she spun around in the stool excitedly, loosing her balance. Elias acted quickly, catching her before she fell.

"Careful now." Elias helped her back up. Ava giggled, wrapping her arms around his neck, squeezing him.

"Hey, Eli."

"Hey." He gave her a quick pat before pulling away. Straightening himself out, he'd noticed Brie was watching him. He froze for a moment. He didn't know what to say. He'd never started a conversation between them before-

"Hey Elias." Brie pursed her lips. He was taken back for a moment. Clearing his throat, he replied, "Hey."

After a few moments of pure silence, Brie went back to preparing dinner and Ava continued playing with the rubies on her shirt while Eli collected his thoughts.

"Have you heard from dad?" Elias asked and Brie looked at him again.

"Not in a little while." She glanced at her phone on the counter. "Why?"

"I just need to talk to him. I want to know if I can spend the night over a friend's house." Elias shoved his hands in his pockets, shrugging. "But he hasn't been able to get back to me."

Brie wiped her hands on a towel, grabbing her phone. "Well, let me try for you."

She wasted no time in putting the phone to her ear.

"I don't think he'll pick up. I just tried a few seconds ago-"

"Hey baby."

Elias paused at that. He'd answered.

"Yeah, I know." She continued. "I just have a small question."

Elias looked away, shaking his head.

I should have known. He thought.

"Is it okay for Elias to stay over at a friend's tonight?" She asked. "Okay. Okay, good. Yeah. Love you too."

She hung up, glancing back at Elias.

"He said yes." She nodded, and Elias thanked her before running up stairs to grab his book bag.