Chapter 16: Slippery Slope

Tuesday...
       5:50pm...

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

  The sound echoed in Eli's head as the row of cashiers continued to scan the oncoming goods. That, mixed with the constant rattling of the run-down grocery cart and his phone pressed against his face, he felt his ears going numb. Letting his injured leg rest upon the bottom level of the cart, he hopped down each isle. It was his first time there, but after three hours of the repeated route, he quickly became well acquainted with every item; their location imprinted in his brain. It was exhausting, but he still kept his eyes peeled nonetheless.

"Can I have a box of cookies please?"
The familiar voice entered Eli's ear, making him groan, adjusting his grip on the device.

"Are you seriously getting cookies right now?" Elias whispered into the phone. "You're suppose to be keeping an eye out for Jade."

"I'm at a cafe--what do you expect me to do?"

"Sunshine." Elias face-palmed.

"Don't worry. I'll share." Rainbow boy replied, his voice sounding much more faint as he took the phone away from his ear. "I'm sorry, what'd you say miss? What kind?"

"Is it too late to switch locations?" Porter's voice joined. "I-I know I picked the laundry mat, but it's going on like three times I've washed the same load...and this old lady keeps giving me the side eye..."

"Just hold out Porter." Elias pushed the cart down the start of the snack isle. "Remember why you're there."

"I think she's catching onto me." His voice returned low.

Elias chuckled slightly. "Try offering her a quarter--tell her she looks nice."

"My clothes were really dirty." Porter laughed uncomfortably before clearing his throat. "I have a few extra quarters--here--you look nice by the way. Older women are underrated. I mean--the grey looks nice on you. Not that there's alot!"

"Porter." Elias rose a brow.

"Yeah?"

"Leave the woman alone."

"Okay." Porter answered quick, shuffling as he apologized and walked away.

"Those all sound delicious." Sunshine giggled.

"Sunshine, leave the cookies alone and get back to your spot." Elias said firm.

"It's so hard to choose."

"Sunshine." Elias repeated.

"Sounds like everything's going to shit over there." Rocco's voice chimed in. "Meanwhile, I'm at the pub with fine chicks walking in and out every second. Mm mm mmm."

"You're not supposed to be looking at the girls Rocco." Porter snapped.

"Not girls, little man. Women. Oh my god, she's golden--"

"All of you, get your head together and stop goofing off. We're out here for one thing and one thing only. Finding Jade, got it?"

"Got it."

"Got it."

"What kind of cookies do you guys perfer?"

"Sunshine!" Elias shouted, looking around the store from his sudden intensity.

"Chocolate chip will do just fine." He said quickly.

Eli's voice returned much lower. "Find him."