Chapter 18: Like a Bandaid - Part 2

All five pair of eyes watched the three boys intently, each of them slowly making their way down to the tall boy on the far left who was examining each of them as well. It was almost like everyone was afraid to speak which was surprising, seeing as though Elias expected there to be an uproar from the new face. Instead they just stared awkwardly until Cush finally turned to Elias not even bothering to whisper.

"I think they're waiting on you."

"Right." Elias cleared his throat. "Hey...guys."

"What's uh...um what's Cush doing here?" Beverly stuttered, trying not to look in his direction.

"Yeah...?" Rocco rose a brow.

"Not that you're not welcome--" Porter looked at the others for confirmation. "I mean...I'm not sure if...is he--is he not welc-uh..." he looked back to the unamused boy. "Hey...Cush."

"Wait a minute." Harley stepped forward, narrowing her eyes until they shot open. "Hey, I remember you!"

Cush furrowed his brows, watching as she stared at him expectantly. As a few seconds passed without a reaction, her excitement faded. "You don't remember me?"

"From?" Cush asked slow, making her shake her head with a few blinks at the floor.

"Uh...from class." She gave a short smile. "It's fine if you don't, we never talked." Harley backed away beside Bausy who still held a bewildered expression. Elias was surprised. It seemed like everyone did know Cush.

"Elias? Sunshine?" Bausy asked. "Care to explain?"

With no script or premeditation upon speaking, Elias explained from the beginning. He informed them of Jade's whereabouts and the girls were pleased to know that they successfully found where he lived. However, when Elias explained the events that took place not too long after, everyone was silent. Apprised with each of their injuries and trauma, the group listened with close ears to Eli's explanation on why having Cush was nonnegotiable. A few were upset that he decided to break code, but quickly came to an understanding. Elias appreciated the fact that he wasn't chewed up and spit outside of the group forever for what he had done. Though, he believed part of it was because Cush was standing beside him. It didn't take a genius to see that he made them uncomfortable as he does everyone, but Elias wasn't worried about it. He knew Cush wasn't completely terrible, and found amusement in his unintentional intimidation.

Though, as he continued to speak, Elias couldn't help but notice that Sunshine wasn't next to him as he usually was. Instead, he stood in a corner, playing with a loose string from his shirt. His eyes were muted with a heavy stare on his fingers; his head hanging low against his chest. He hadn't said a word since they left his house. What was up with him?

Elias couldn't spend too much time with the thought as Cush made his debut, and to Eli's amazement, he actually sounded genuinely respectful without his usual hint of sarcasm, saying he appreciated their approval for his involvement and that he'd enjoy being a walking map for unknown reason to them of course.

The group session went by quickly as they all introduced themselves to Cush properly, answering some of the questions he had. It had seemed that he was actually growing intrigued, keen with how much effort had went into the whole operation. Unfortunately, they had run out of time and needed to return home, but Elias was quite content with that as he was getting sleepy. As they all blew out the candles and said their good nights, Elias was surprised to see Sunshine was the first one outside the door.