Chapter 26: Promise

Pain was such an annoyance. Every move he made, there it was to greet him. The slightest stretch of his fingers felt like a gamble, pushing just how long he was willing to endure the stiffening ache of his knuckles until the sharp twinge forced them back. It hurt to breathe; mainly because of the sore brusie on his side, but more conceivably because the act itself kept him there to bear it. It was miserable, but he was healing. Slowly but surely pain became insensible as the days passed, blurring together. He didn't keep track of how long it had been--didn't care to, but knew it was long enough for most of his cuts to heal. Of course, there were a couple that chose to be stubborn. It was one near his eye. Every blink was a constant reminder that it was still there pulling at his skin with a piercing sting, and though the cut along his lip was closed, Eli couldn't wait for the swollen redness to finally fade.

It was late--some time passed eleven o'clock. Elias hadn't been able to properly sleep for a while now and had given up on it completely. Instead he spent his time playing online mobile games, rekindling the old friendships he'd almost felt comfortable letting decay at a point. It was nice to pretend things weren't different--as if time never passed. He refused to accept the reality of what he was truly doing however. He didn't want to think of them as his distractions. They were his friends, and he willingly let himself believe he was spending his time with them because he missed them, and not because he didn't want to accept his reality. It was only now, after hours of playing and breaking the ice, Eli had felt content enough to ask them what he'd missed. Sitting alone in the darkness of his room, he waited until the group chat lit up with replies.

Darius
Nothing much.

Rodney
I finally got my car.

Clyde
Can you even call that a car?

Rodney
She may be ugly now, but when I dress her up and put some lipstick on her she'll make your girlfriend insecure Clyde.

No way. Clyde has a girl?

Clyde
Wait, what girlfriend?

Darius
Ohhhhh, I know who you're talking about.

Clyde
Who? And Elias what do you mean no way?

Rodney
You know who we're talking about. Freshman year? Behind the bleachers?
Caught with your pants down?

Wait, you mean Desiree?

Darius
Bingo.

Rodney
I remember that shit like it was yesterday.

You're dating Dessy?

Clyde
How many times do I have to say it! We didn't do anything! I didn't even know she was there! Coach wouldn't let me back inside and I needed to take a piss!

Darius
Sure.

I mean you never have to pull your pants all the way down though...

Clyde
Wtf Elias! Before you left you believed me!

Rodney
Clyde's just upset he got head from dirty Dessy and everyone knows it.