Chapter 12- I Don't Feel Like Dancing

Once again Clara found herself in the lab, watching Howard tinker and being absolutely no help

Once again Clara found herself in the lab, watching Howard tinker and being absolutely no help. Howard was immersed in his repairs, halfway under a car tampering with the shassy. He had spent 30% of his time, as per the agreement, working on the time machine. Having already done his quota, he was now messing around with his own stuff. Lately he had been preparing for this big science expo- 'The Marvels of Tomorrow!'- and, because he did nothing easily, was attempting to make a flying car, as if a time machine was too mundane.

Howard had stopped rummaging around under the car and had walked over to a control panel. He furrowed his brows as he pushed up the lever. To Clara's amazement, the car rose off the floor...and promptly smashed back down. Howard clutched his hair in frustration, looking at the mostly intact car and the few parts that had dropped off and rolled away under the benches. Howard stalked around the lab muttering something about 'stabilizing'. He was manically rushing around, pulling out draws, sifting through them and moving on to the next, not bothering to shut them afterwards.

"It needs something...I can't find it...what does it need? What does it need!"

Clara watched him run around like a lunatic and really saw the resemblance between father and son. There was so much of him in Tony. All the arrogance and the ability to not see where he is drastically wrong. Yet they both had the same brilliant mind. After all, it was Tony who realised why Loki needed that iridium...for a stabilizing agent.

"It won't stabilize. It's not stable. What does it need...what does it need?"

"Do you have any iridium?" Clara mumbled into her cup of tea as she raised it to her lips.

"'Do I have any iridium?' of course I have iridium. What sort of a man doesn't have iridium?!" Howard hollard, throwing his hands up in the air in despair and frustration. "What's iridium got to do with anything?"

"You can use it-" Clara said as she took a gulp of tea, "-as a stabilizing agent."

Howard's hands went to his head. His fingers intertwined as he cupped the back of his head and screwed his eyes shut. His eyes snapped open once he had thought everything through. Rushing around in a manic frenzy, he set to work.

"Iridium, iridium...where's it gone...I need iridium." He mumbled under his breath as he was rushed around the lab, opening and discarding yet more draws. He eventually found what he was looking for and began tinkering away at the car again. In a matter of minutes he had reappeared in front of Clara, grabbed her by the head, and squarely kissed her on the forehead.

"You, my lovely lady, are brilliant!"

"Did it work?" Clara asked disbelievingly.

"Want to do the honours?" Howard asked, leading her towards a clunky control panel and gesturing widely to a lever. He was beaming enthusiastically, to the point where he was verging on insane. Cautiously, Clara pushed the lever up, going slowly in case anything where to explode.