up in the sky

a/n: hope you're ready to cry because this is just fucking sad.

sherlock ran into the house, panting heavily as he looked around, taking his gun out of his holster and silently following the trail of blood up the stair case. he checked each and every room until he reached the end of the hallway, seeing the door cracked and knowing. he was just hoping it wasn't. he kicked the door open gently, seeing the blood stain on the carpet and the feet coming from the edge of the bed. there was no way he could force himself to look at it. then the curtains moved and his eyes shot up, seeing the figure from behind and shooting at it until the body fell from behind.

he got down quickly and pulled the torn curtains off the man, seeing the vest. he rolled the man over, seeing the bullets he shot in the vest and the mad grinned, hitting sherlock on the side of his head, knocking his gun out of his hand before getting up. sherlock got up, grabbing his gun and shooting, hitting the man in the leg, causing him to fall, but he got up again, pulling his own gun from the holster. sherlock hid on the other side of the wall, waiting for him to shoot then taking his shot, missing then chasing him out of the hallway, only to get the small table knocked over on him, but sherlock lunged, grabbing the man's waist then tackling him down the steps.

sherlock was the first to get up, kicking the injured man not once, but twice in the gut. he picked him up, putting him in a choke hold before slamming him against the wall, pressing the back of his hand to the man's head. he turned the man around, pressing his hand to his forehead and slamming the back of his head into the wall this time. the man fought back but sherlock was stronger. they kicked off that wall and sherlock shoved him harshly into another wall, the man's head slamming into a framed photo this time. sherlock got a knee to the gut, throwing him back a step but that didn't stop him. he lunged at the man again, grabbing his waist, but the man kept squirming and sherlock couldn't keep balance. he fell back onto the dining room table, the glasses and props breaking under them along with the table.

sherlock lost himself for a second, the man getting up before him and throwing the first punch, keeping sherlock down while the man reached for a glass that didn't break, smashing it against sherlock's skull, causing him to fall down again. the man stood up, panting heavily as he pulled a switch blade out of his pocket.

"this is where you lose, sherlock." he grinned, the blade of the knife coming out. "this is where i win the game and you lose."

sherlock crawled away while he spoke, reaching for the broken leg of the table.

"and you'll have to deal with the fact that you could never beat me. that i've always outsmarted you. that's the way it works."

sherlock got on his knees, bringing the table leg around before releasing it on the knee of the man, causing him to scream out in pain as he fell down. sherlock got on the man quickly, throwing a punch.

the man laughed at him, his blood covered teeth showing as he laughed.

sherlock inhaled deeply, throwing another punch. then another. then another. and another. the flash backs of all the pain and misery he put him through. his family. john and rosie. how much torture he put them through. rage spilled out of him like a pot over water over boiling and into his punches, not stopping until lestrade came in and pulled sherlock off of the man, pulling him away.

"he's dead, sherlock!" he shouted. "he's dead!" he wrapped his arms around sherlock like a seat belt, hearing the man start to sob. he looked over at the beat and bloody body of james moriarty, a shot of anger coursing through his body. "it's over." he said to the detective.

sherlock sniffled and got up, running into the hallway then kneeling at the side of the staircase, opening the hidden hatch to see his daughter sitting their. "i played, papa. did i win?"

sherlock nodded. "you did, bumblebee." he gave her smile as he pulled her out of the small storage space. he hugged her, kissing her head. "you did so well, sweetheart."

rosie let go of her father, looking at him with a frown. "what happened to you, papa?" she placed her hand on the side of sherlock's face.

"i'm alright. i want you to go with miss sally, okay?" he asked, sniffling.

rosie nodded then walked over to donavan. sherlock gave her a nod and donavan held rosie's hand, talking to her as they walked out of the house.

sherlock stood, taking a minute to collect himself before mustering up the courage to walk upstairs. the table that was locked over had been picked up and moved out of the way and sherlock went to the bedroom, standing in the door way as he saw greg huntched over the body, checking for a pulse. he walked slowly over to him, seeing the limp body of the love of his life. the man who loved him unconditionally. he was gone. he tried to control his sobs as he looked down at the face that smiled and told him he loved him just this morning. the face he woke up to for a decade.

"i'm so sorry, sherlock." greg said, his own voice cracking.

sherlock let out an controlled sob and rested his head on the chest of his husband. his best friend. his lover. his life. he was gone. he thought about how just morning he was alive and smiling. not even thirty minutes ago he was dead. he was speaking on the phone with sherlock, telling him how much he loved him. how much joy he brought into his life.

"promise me, sherlock." john's wet voice came through the phone. "promise me you'll tell her how we met. how our first date was chasing a criminal through the streets."

"john.." shelrock's voice cracked.

"make sure she knows that i love her. and that i want her to have a big heart. promise me, sherlock."

sherlock sniffled. "i promise."

"i know what's going to happen." john wiped his tears. "i love you. i'll always be there for you. you'll keep me in your heart, right?" he asked with a small chuckle.

"you'll never leave it."

"clocks ticking." jim's voice said.

"don't forget about me. i love you so much. so very much i want you to always keep that with you."

"i love you, too, john."

"goodbye, sherlock."

then the gunshots came.

sherlock walked into the yard after being cleaned up and checked by doctors. he walked into the conference room, seeing the people at the table, smiling at the little girl that sat in greg's lap.

"papa!" rosie exclaimed, sliding out of her uncle's lap then running to her father.

sherlock smiled and picked her up, giving her a kiss on the cheek before she wrapped her little arms around his neck, resting her head on his shoulder. he gave a sad smile and nod to greg before turning out of the conference room and out of the yard.

"where's daddy?" the soft voice asked.

"he's gone away. but he's in a good place. he's with mrs. hudson." he held her close as they waited for the elevator.

"so he's not coming back?"

"i'm afraid not, bumblebee." sherlock stepped into the elevator, pressing the main floor button. "but he still loves you the same. and he'll always be watching us."

rosie's arms tightened a bit. "can i sleep in bed with you papa?" she asked softly.

"of course you can, bumblebee." the elevator doors opened and sherlock walked out of them, rubbing rosie's back gently. "we're going to stay with aunt molly tonight."

"okay." the little girl whispered before she was out like a light.

sherlock walked to the car, stopping and looking up at the sky, knowing john was up there. he was up there and watching over them. just like he did down here.