Don't do drugs

I stare at him and wonder how anyone could be that annoying. I decide to find out what they know, I sit down the nearest chair.

"Tell me then." It is not a question, I want to know. He smiles.

"We are here to...save you." I raise my eyebrows.

"We?"

"Yes, Janet and me." He says. I glance at Janet. She looks oddly uncomfortable.

"To cut to the chase; everyone wants you to die." He says this casually like they are discussing the weather.

"What!? Who is everyone?" I ask.

"Everyone is, well, everyone...? Because you are in the way. Your dad was married to Flora Buckley, she was basically in charge of the world and your dad was accused of adultery with a human. He was executed-"

"What!? My dad is dead!?" Luke frowns.

"You never knew him."

"I wanted to," a hundred emotions are flying around right now. Sadness. Disappointment. Excitement. Guilt. Guilt? Why would it be my fault? But I have a terrible feeling this adultery caused a big problem.

Me.

Luke glances nervously at Janet who nodded for him to carry on.

"Well, you were born-"

Knew it.

"-and the "queen" was told she either had to marry again or somebody else would take over. Then the secret leaked out about a royal child that belonged to the "king", you. Therefore when you turn sixteen, you'll be well, the queen... Funny eh?"

I keep my emotions low for a moment to ponder that thought. Then I smile and Luke looks almost scared.
"I get it. It's a joke, right? Well, haha, very funny. Now seriously what's going on? Are you Janet's boyfriend or something?"

Luke looks at me sympathetically and Janet stares quizzically. They carry on talking like I hadn't even said that.

"Well, anyway...I said if she marries again, you won't be queen, but..." He looks at Janet who is nodding. "There is a guy called Oreno. Everyone wants them to marry, but he is evil. He is cold and cruel."

"Are you even listening? This is a joke, isn't it? Where is my mum and Josh? Are they part of this?" I continue to dig my heels in the ground.

"Before he became Flora's boyfriend, he run the local orphanage." A dark look passes over his face. They are really ignoring me now. "He always said, if he ruled the world, he would kill everyone and start a new population with halfrendos."

"Stop! What the hell are you talking about! You're making no sense! Get a grip and shut up!" I try to stand up, but he just shoves me into my chair again.

"These are Half animals, half aliens, they tare apart human flesh and drink blood." He continues.
"We thought he was joking at first, but that was before we saw what he did to Bobby Copper. Anyway, they can't marry before you turn sixteen because they can only marry on a full moon and that's not for about two months."

I put my hand up to silence him and for the first time since I've met him, he does.
"So you're telling me that I am the next target for death, my dad was king of a universe and some guy wants to populate the earth with person-eating weirdos?"
Luke nods.
I stand up, carefully take a step towards him. And punch him in the nose.
"What the hell was that for!" Luke cries, massaging his nose and glaring at me.
"Thalia!" Janet says, hearing her for the first time.
"I think you must be high. Or dreaming or maybe hallucinating?" I say.
"Well I'm not!" He protests and stands up next to me which is scary because he is so tall.

"Let's go." He says to Janet.