The diamond depth

Early the next morning, no one is up. So I creep down the forest until I reach a river. The water looks clean and fresh, so I strip down to my underwear. Imagine if Luke came along now...awkward. There is not an easy way to get in, so I clumsily slide into the clear, blue water.

Whoa. It's deep. I can't feel the bottom.

I try a couple of lengths before my lungs fight for breath and my arms ache. I sit on the grassy bank and look down into the water. I don't think fish live in there, I wonder why. It's so nice and clean. Something. I don't know what, but something catches my eye. It glimmers at the bottom of the river. It can't be that deep, not if I can see something at the bottom. So what's the harm in diving down and pulling it out. I suck in all the oxygen I can and lunge into the sparkling water. I hear the blood thumping in my ears and my whole body relaxes in the calm water. The further down the more pressure is on my head, how deep can this go?!

There it is.

The glimmering piece of jewellery is centimetres from the tip of my fingers. I stretch my arm out as much as it can go. 3, inches...2...1...

Got it!

I curl my fingers around it and tighten my grip, then swim to the surface.

Once I am out of the water, my body grows cold and I can feel the goosebumps along my arms and legs. I open my hand and stare at my treasury.

It is a diamond. It looks like it's come off a crown and it may just be the light, but there was definitely a glint of red on the surfaces.

Feeling proud, I put my clothes on and head back.
The diamond glitters in my hand as I walk back up the hill and I feel a sudden coldness around me but I don't think it was the weather.