Chapter 2: The Male

About a half hour into my walk, I see this boy looking confused. I take out my earbuds and look around. This is the one busy street in this town and has lots of shops. If something happens, I can easily stay safe by signaling down a car or running into a store. Everyone knows everyone and everything about everyone in this town. It's really small but the tourists like getting the motels here for some strange reason. It's still the school year though so why is there a boy around my age visiting here?
"Need some help?" I ask in a shy voice.
"Please, do you happen to know where there might be a grocery store open?" He asks.
"One supermarket, it's on Jensen Street. Not far from here."
"Jensen Street?"
"You've never visited here before have you?" I ask. Jensen Street is the street filled with motels and food places. We only have one supermarket and about three restaurants there. The rest of the food places are fast food and scattered around. Whoever planned out Jensen Street though, must have been drunk.
"My parents and I just moved here, tonight really, so as they unload the truck I stock the cupboards," he explains. I smile from the way he says really. It sounds like he has an accent for that word because he pronounces it rellay.
"Come on, it's about a five minute walk from here," I tell him as I start walking around the corner. I turn around and see him looking down, hiding a smile. "What are you some kind of killer and this is your plan or something?" I ask jokingly.
"What? No of course not! It's just, well umm, your eyes. They glisten in the moonlight," he tells me. I feel my cheeks burning up and a smile creeping across my face. Butterflies start fluttering around in my stomach.
"So, you just moved here huh?" I ask trying not to get all awkward.
"Ya. We bought the house a month ago and we finally moved in. I'm excited for the new beginning."
"Won't you miss your friends? And your old life?" I ask.
"In a sense yes, but it's nice getting away from that and being able to start fresh, you know?"
"Ya," I lie.
"So, how long have you lived here... wait, I didn't mean to sound creepy or stalkerish."
"Since I was ten," I tell him, still laughing at his apology. I would usually be the one saying something like that. Usually I'm the awkward person.
"Sorry, I don't mean to..."
"Don't worry. Trust me, I get it," I ensure him. He smiles with his head down again. He's shy too? I use to be just as shy, well still am. What is supposed to only take five minutes, becomes much longer. Five minutes turn to ten, ten to fifteen. By the time we reach the store, it's been a half hour walk.