LIFE HAPPENS

LIFE HAPPENS

                                                                          RYDER

"One year left."Chloe had once said, falling into my embrace us we watched the sunrise in the middle of winter in Oakheart's deserted beach.

"Hmm?" I had asked her not sure if she was actually talking to me or herself since she had accidentally drank Molly water previously that night. 

"One year... and something until I'm out of this place."

Her biggest dream yet; leaving Oakheart, her shitty ass hometown.

I had chuckled, trying to share her enthusiasm "Well I can't say that I am not jealous."

She turned her head around to face me"Why? I thought you'll leave too. I thought you wanted to."

Wanted to? I would give everything to leave out of this narrow minded hole "I do. But I don't think I can after all."

"Why?" she had asked me surprised.

I had caught her off guard. Ever since that day the only thing that she was positive about me was that I wanted to leave this place just as much as she did. But for me it was easier said than done.

"Because I can't leave my mom and sister all by themselves and go study somewhere miles away. And let's face it, what are the chances of me getting into college?"

"You don't know that. It's too soon."

No it wasn't "Still."

"It's too soon Ryder." She had said in an 'end of discussion' tone "I'm sure some college will accept you."

Despite her efforts to comfort me, I truly believed she actually meant what she was saying. Because for some reason she always believed in me.

"Sir?"

I snapped out of my thoughts as I realized the cashier was talking to me.

"Oh sorry." I said, seeing that I was holding the line and gave her the groceries to scan.

  I walked to the parking lot almost robot like and when I got inside my car I took a moment to process what had just happened.

Chloe was here. She was back.

  For someone who spent the majority of his time thinking about her, I had completely forgotten that she might be coming home for the holidays.

  It had been so long -too long- since I had last seen her. A year and a half to be exact. She hadn't changed a day, yet somehow she looked more beautiful than ever and I hated that. No one deserved to stare at the girl that I loved, as selfish as it sounds.

And goddamn was the girl that I still loved beautiful as fuck;  her long brown hair that I remember spending hours running my fingers through, were just a little bit blonder now but still looked so fucking good on her. Her pouty lips that I used to kiss for hours were trembling as she run out of the store and those beautiful big brown eyes that haunted me everyday for almost two years now, still held the hatred and pain I remembered.  The hatred and pain that I had caused.