PROLOGUE

***

  PART 1 

***

PROLOGUE

   RYDER

Life is a cruel bitch.

At least that's the conclusion I have come up with in my 20 years of life.

One thing that I have also learned is that when you screw it up – because with one way or another you will eventually screw it up big time, at least once in your life- you have to face the consequences that come with it.

Obviously I didn't need a living example to prove me right but since I had threw myself under the bus I had to consider that a living proof for my theory.

And boy had I threw myself under the bus alright.

I never was an easy kid, I'll admit that -it's not like it was a secret anyway. When your six year old son spends his fair share of time beating up other six year olds then you should probably know something is wrong with him. What was wrong with me? You got me there.

Of course I don't blame my parents for not wanting to deal with my shit. They were too busy trying to raise me and my sister while I was mad at the world.

Over the course of all those years I have to admit I've done my fair share of stupid things. What that would be? Pretty much anything that could get me in trouble; drug dealing, vandalism –which I did ended up paying for it by moving to another town- assault –which to this day I don't regret one bit considering I had to punch a motherfucker that should have known better than to mess with my little sister- and lastly the worst thing out of it all; I had caused someone his life.

By accident. But... still.

Which brings me to my next topic of conversation; the very list of the five people I had hurt the most and needed to make up for.

First on the list; Sam Peters. The person whose life I had caused.

Sam Peters and I... go way back. We had been best friends long before I was relocated to Oakheart for vandalizing my old school and trespassing school premises. Lone before he was a drug addict. And while technically I hadn't killed him, I played a part on his death.

I was the one who was dealing with him and I was the one who have him the last portion that caused his life.

Between us... Sam hadn't much time left on this earth. We all knew it. He started using at a really young age, did anything he could to support his drug habit and ever since then he denied whatever help to sobriety he was offered. When you've been using for years and deny getting any help... the time will eventually come.

Of course I'm not trying to disentangle my part from Sam's death, after all I was the reason, or at least one of the reasons he died. But whatever plan I had making up to him obviously was pointless from the moment he was dead right? Well... Not exactly.

Which is what brings us to person number two; Jared Peters, Sam's brother. I've known both of them the same amount of time and if there was anything worthy I had to do in the time that I had left in my life, that would be to make up to Jared ten times more that I normally would've have.

Jared knew everything. It wasn't like it was a secret anyway.

And If I loved Sam Peters once, he loved him ten. You know what it is worse than seeing your brother on drugs? Seeing him withdrawal.