Chapter Forty Seven

a/n: these next few chapters are almost wholly focused on Sonia as a character. I know you're wanting some good action and romance, so I promise it'll be soon. I won't spoil it for you though - start reading!

•••

Sonia's hand trembles as she reaches for the handle of the Bradley's front door. She knows who's in there. She can feel them. And yet, she swallows the fear. It goes down her throat like a thick pill.

"Here goes nothing," she mutters and enters the elaborate house. Unsurprisingly, it still does not feel like her home. It does not feel like a home at all, actually, considering her knowledge of the family that lived there. (Family was a loose term when it came to the Bradleys.)

She was alone in the foyer. She figured no one heard her come in, and frankly, she didn't want them to be alerted of her presence just yet. The girl sneaked up to her room and almost made it until she ran into a familiar woman. She exhaled an enormous sigh of relief at their meeting.

"Riza!" she exclaimed. "It's so good to see you." She embraces her tightly and the lieutenant returns the gesture. "It feels like it's been forever."

"I agree," she chuckles. "You've been out and about for a while, haven't you?"

"Yeah." Her voice drops low in a whisper. "I've been with Ed and Al, getting ready for the Promised Day."

Hawkeye nods knowingly, her mouth pressing into a tight line. It's then Sonia notices a cut on her cheek.

"What happened to your cheek?" she questions, peering in closer.

"I don't think I have to explain."

"Was it Bradley? Or Selim?"

Riza's eyes harden and she goes to speak, but she stops when Sonia looks behind her. Taking a look over her shoulder, she sees the Fuhrer and instantly salutes.

"Sir."

He's not concerned so much about his assistant, but more interested in Sonia's presence.

"Ah, my lovely daughter," he says, only to make aware of his status above her. She sneers. "You've returned from your extended mission to the north?"

Curtly, she replies, "I have. Just now, actually. Sorry for not keeping you posted - lots of things happened." She was sure he knew everything somehow anyway. No use in an explanation.

"No matter to me. But I'm sure Mrs. Hawkeye does not have time to hear about your frivolous adventures." He stepped towards the two women and his voice dropped low. He puts on no facade. "She has more important things to do. Besides, if you were wise, you'd be more mindful of who you speak with, and what you communicate about. Do not consider it a mere suggestion."

He walks a few feet away, then stops again. Turning around, he regains the fake liveliness into his voice. "Lunch is already prepared. We'll be waiting for you at the table."

The man walked away briskly, leaving the two alone again. Sonia knew better though; she could feel him lingering beyond the joint corridor, silently challenging them to obey his orders. But the message was clear: any conversation between themselves was off limits. Still, the alchemist couldn't resist saying one more bit to Riza.

"Soon everything will be different."

Hawkeye nods, then they both part ways, making an unspoken vow to see each other sooner than not when the Promised Day arrives.

•••

Lunch is lively, thanks to Mrs. Bradley's excitement of having Sonia back in the house. The girl makes an offhanded comment, saying, "Don't get used to it," but not even that can dampen the first lady's mood.