Chapter 15

I leave Zarcar to get dressed into formal attire and then as he waits for me outside the chamber, I choose to wear a beautiful midnight blue gown that covers my skin and wraps around me like my usurper's black robe. I paint on the four black dots at the corner of each eye and then I surprise Zarcar with my conservative robe.

He is sitting on my favourite window sill, wearing another royal purple suit with black polished shoes. His hair is tied back and it's the first time I've seen him tie it out of the way.

"A robe?" Zarcar asks, raising a brow in surprise when he sees my choice, "Are you not feeling well, Chyronex?"

"I wish to obey you tonight," I admit, openly as I close the bedchamber door, "I am meeting your King who kills Queens like me so I think I should learn how to submit... first to you, Master of Witches."

Zarcar smirks a bit but it doesn't hide the underlying sadness from his eyes.

"I am glad you understand your place tonight, beside me," Zarcar stands up and holds out his hand. I take a graceful step forward and slip my palm into his before sliding my arm through his elbow.

"Is your King cruel?" I ask, in a whisper.

"He is kind to all who obey," Zarcar admits, "Which is why you must obey my direction at all times. Whatever he asks – obey him too. Gain his trust and he'll never harm you."

"Are you speaking of yourself or your King?" I joke as he pulls me forward and starts leading me towards the stair case so we can be on the way to the unofficial welcome for the King tonight.

"Tonight is not a game between us, Chyronex. I speak of how you must act to the King. Listen intently," Zarcar murmurs, "I must warn you that if you do disobey me in front of my King, he will expect that I punish you harshly. He knows me as a Master of Fear more than a Master of Witches."

"I know you hide secrets from me, but the more you speak, the more secrets I know you hold," I squeeze his palm, but he doesn't glance at me, avoiding my questioning gaze. I sigh and add, "I suppose I should know his name."

"...Chyronex," Zarcar's light tone is lost as he speaks an impatient warning, "The less you know the better."

"Is it because I am a woman or –"

"He will expect knowledge," Zarcar cuts me off, "You will show him no such thing. You are an eager and obedient slave who looks to me for knowledge. He will name me your Keeper tomorrow and I will do to you whatever he asks. Make sure he asks for nothing but obedience training. He is more cunning than he appears to be, which is saying something. Even I fear his mind – but that is why he is a King."

"...I understand mostly what you imply... but why can't I know his name?" I whisper.

"Only those he introduces himself to are allowed to know him by name," I nod when I see the grim lines on Zarcar's face.

I get the distinct feeling he has high respect for his King but doesn't like him one bit.

And I had no idea why.

So, I just focus on my intuition.

Obey Zarcar tonight – and avoid any possible repercussions from this infamous King who even, perhaps, scared Zarcar into perfect obedience.

How and why? Just another question to add to the list of many growing inside my head... and my heart.

****

The moon is high but covered by clouds and I wonder if Zarcar has blocked my access to the moonlight on purpose – to possibly deter me from using magic in front of the higher lords and ladies of this foreign, invading culture within Swendula.