Chapter Seven

When you got a safe and scheduled life, it becomes hard to think beyond that. Even harder to imagine the price if you tried something beyond that.

Me, books, friends and family. Thats it. Travelling to a new country or even going around the city never crossed my mind. Whatever I had was enough for me. Until now. Walking the streets of Rome, feeling the history soak into my skin and the rough streets beneath my shoes was all very fascinating.

I had realized that I'd wasted all my years sitting and doing nothing. Reading was passion but now I felt drawn towards the beauty of getting out of the four walls and gaze around the city, walking and roaming and discovering places, meeting new people. It was so captivating. If only I were more experienced and woman of the world.

"What flavour would you love gorgeous?".

"Mint choclate."

"A fan of choclate?" Nico asked bemused.

"Who isn't?" I grinned.

The gelateria on the street corner, shaped like a fancy choclate box had the newest customers walking away with every colour of icecream on the fanciest of waffle cones.

"Excuse me." Dad went to take a call.

"So Nico, what do you do besides a tour guide?" Aurora asked.

"I'm majoring in history." He smiled.

"That's great. No wonder you are passionate about your job."

"Partially. It's also good money." He chuckled, his dimples prominent.

I admit Nico was an attractive guy. The perfect package of an Italian boy as far as I had read. The thick eyelashes, distinct cheekbones, angular jaw and the pale skin made him look devilishly handsome. The freckles on his cheek gave him the touch of boyish charm.

"What about your family?" I asked.

"Few friends who know me well."

"I'm so sorry Nico."

Why do I ask wrong questions every time???

"Please don't be, they are one hell of a family."

He laughed making the topic less awkward.

"You are a brave boy Nico." Mom said.

"Thank you mam."

We were savouring our icecreams when I realized...

"Where's Dad?"

On the cue Dad returned with an apologetic smile on his face.

And this is not good.

Every time he had his duty calls he wore this expression. I don't want to leave Rome yet. I won't let him do that.

"Well there's a slight change of plan..." He let us sink that.

I knew it. I bloody hell knew it.

"But I don't want to leave yet. Whatever it is, it can wait, you can make it wait." I knew I was whining.

"It can't wait Annona. We need to leave now."

"What is so important, why can't we go after a week or so?"

"Because it its tonight and we need to leave right this moment." Dad said walking towards Mom and Aurora with me trailing behind him.

"But even if we leave right now we couldn't make it home." I tried justifying behind him.

"Home?" Dad gave me a puzzled look.