Chapter Two

We made our way through the arrivals section. There were people holding poster, names written in bold letters. As soon as we were out, we noticed that the sun was at its height. The sunlight bounced off the pristine glass panes of the airport. Hordes of people walked past in a flurry, the noise amplifying as people rushed out.

The smell of sweet confectionaries wafted past my nose and the greasy touch of smoking bacon made me queasy in the summer heat. Burgeoning cafès and fast food restaurants which were flooded by throngs of the ravens youth filling their appetite with meals lathered in fat and guzzling acidic drinks that wear away their teeth.

Cars zoomed past the blemished roads with an echoing, metallic grind that grated my ears with harsh dissonance. Branded hats and coats with sunglasses as they pulled off impossible tricks and revelled in the gawking stares of onlookers.

The taxis were lined up to take the customer to their destination. Since the sunlight was shining down at full effect, a relaxing ride was what I had expected. After putting luggages Dad hopped beside the driver and Mom sat between me and Aurora.

"I'm absolutely in love with this weather." Mom chimed happily.

"And we could even get a good tan." Dad chuckled at Mom.

"Where to Signore?" The driver asked.

"Grand Hotel De La Minerve." Dad said.

The cab ride was silent.

Everyone of us was amazed as we were gawking the Roman architecture.

The roads were simple corduroy roads. On both sides of the roads parallel trenches were built. As we were moving ahead we noticed the edges of the road were closed off by stone placed length ways, which in city centre would act as the step for pavement. There were trees lined up with beautiful stone sculptures between them. For a good second I thought I was in a different era.

"This is so beautiful. All of this." I said in a dreaming voice.

"Yes it is." Aurora sighed, the gleam in her eyes evident.

"Romance in Rome." Mom tried to joke.

Even though the car ride wasn't a smooth one, it didn't bother anyone of us as the beauty around us was truly captivating.