Rami and the father.

'Lilia wake up.' my mum's voice stroke through my ears.

'Leave me alone please!!'

'No, you have to wake up.'

'I think I was done with school, mum.'

'Your brothers and your father are leaving.'

I opened my eyes.

'Where to ?'

'To the mountains.' she sobbed.

'Is Rami leaving too ?'

'Yes .'

'Oh.' I said. Surprised to know that my elder brother was leaving everything behind him and he was going to the mountains with my dad . He did not actually like the city we are in.

I went to the bathroom and washed my face. It was six o'clock in the morning. After that I went to the kitchen and they were all sitting there. Rami gave me a weird look. My mother and my little brother were crying. I wasn't. I was kinda happy because my brother was leaving. It was the kind of happy that made me feel guilty, too.

'Dad, we should take Lilia with us too.'

What was he saying?

'Son, have you lost your mind?' My father answered him.

'No, dad. I'm really serious. I don't think its a good idea to leave her here.'

'Why is that?' I said.

'Because you might do stupid things. Sneaking out, for example.' He smirked.

'And why would I do that ?' My temper was rising.

'Because I will not be here.'

'Stop it. Both of you. Lilia is staying here and so is your little brother. You and I are leaving. And you shouldn't talk like that to your little sister, Rami .' My dad said.

My mum was kinda happy because my little brother wasn't leaving. He was 12 years old only, he can't hold a gun. Rami was pissed, and his looks were digging my soul.

Can't my dad stay? I thought.

It was 8 o'clock now. We went outside and most of the men were leaving.

I was looking around and all the women were crying for their husbands, fathers, and brothers.

'We might come back after two weeks.' my father said.

I hugged him and kissed him on the cheeck. I didn't get close to Rami.

They left. My mum and my brother went inside. I was sitting in the garden looking at the people that were going to the mountains and looking at the mountains .

How beautiful they're, I thought.

I'd love to go there, but I can't fight. My mum came and sat next to me. We were both looking at the mountains .

'Mum, can girls go to the mountains too?' I asked.

'Yes hunny.'

'What if they can't fight?'

'They'll teach them.'

'Aha. Cool.' I said, trying to push the idea of my mind.

'Why are you asking?' 

'Just wondering.'

'I had  always wanted to go there. Live that life. But, leaving your family is never an easy thing to do. '

I can do it. I thought.

'Yeah, you're right.' I said.

She gave me a tiny smile.

'Mum, what if I wanted to go there?'

'Don't even think about it.' Her voice was sharp.

We were both silent.

'Have you ever asked why do people go to the mountains when they know that they might never come back?' She was looking at me.

'Tell me about it.' I said.

'Look, when our neighbours wanted to harm us, the mountains protected us. When they wanted to find us, the mountains took care of us and hid us. When they wanted to kill us, the mountains shielded us. We belong to the mountains and they belong to us. We have no friends but the mountains.'

And the mountains stayed on my mind after that night.