Chapter 11: The Demonology Institute

A day had passed since Johanne returned home, together with her aunt Lily. Her parents met them happily and embraced the child they had missed so much. Linda thanked Lily immensely for the kindness she had done for them, and Lily too humbly received her gratitude.

Johanne revealed her plans to her parents - she wished to apply to the Demonology Institute, and learn more about demons, angels, and nature spirits. However, her main focus would go on demons, since one of her strongest guardians, Lilith's son, Incubus, was a demon.

Linda, as the strongest Angel Hostess and the mayoress of Golden City, the capital of the West Land, felt really bad at first - she didn't want her daughter to become a demonologist and follow a profession that was so scornfully looked upon by the respectable Angel Hosts. Her husband, Johanne's father, Alex Green, was of the same opinion - as the host of the second strongest celestial archangel, Gabriel, he wouldn't want his daughter to become connected with demons in any way. However, Lily assured them that there was no other way - Johanne had no guardian angel, but only a guardian spirit and a guardian demon, so she should learn more about them. Since she had already trained well in the Eastern Arts of spirit bonding, now she needed to increase her knowledge on demon bonding too, and demonology was just the subject for that. Thus, it was decided, and soon Johanne enrolled in the Demonology Institute - the most prestigious Dark Arts Institute in the whole West Land.

On the very first day, she met some interesting entities - both lecturers and students. The most memorable people for her were the lecturer of Demon History, and an upper-class student who seemed to know quite a lot about demons - Balthazar Corsaire, a handsome boy of eighteen years, with a black braid and hazel eyes, quite popular with younger girls.

 The most memorable people for her were the lecturer of Demon History, and an upper-class student who seemed to know quite a lot about demons - Balthazar Corsaire, a handsome boy of eighteen years, with a black braid and hazel eyes, quite popular ...

"Ah, Balthazar is such a dream guy!" Her classmate girls would often exclaim, "He is so cool and wise and attractive!"

"He's quite nice..." Johanne would agree with a shrug, only to fit in with the girls and get to know them better.

After several classes, three girls came up to her - a blonde one with a long ponytail and blue eyes, and two others with blue-to-green blazing hair and eyes of the same colour.

"Hello. You're a new one, I see?" the blonde one, who acted quite bossy, asked her.

"Um, yeah," Johanne replied with a polite smile, "The name's Johanne."

"I'm Irene. It is nice to meet you." The blonde girl continued chewing her gum. "These are my pals, the twins - Azula," - she pointed at the one with her hair down, - "and Miko," - she then pointed at the twin-tailed one. "They both are from the East Land."

"It is nice to meet you as well!" Johanne shook their hands.

"So, you too have bonded with both a spirit and a demon?" Azula touched the Yin-and-Yang necklace Johanne wore on her neck.

"Hehe, yes! You too?"

"Not Azula. Only I did," Miko cut in, and then gasped, staring at the necklace, "Oh, my goodness, it is the Yin-and-Yang amulet! Don't tell me... Your spirit is from one of the nine great clans?!" She was dumbfounded - the nine great clans were mostly man-eaters, and only the noblest of them had Yin-and-Yang amulets.