Chapter 22: From Jewel Ivory to Joan Mardyr

On that day, and the week that followed, Joan remained in bed, just as Cedric had advised. The man took good care of her during those seven days. The monastery, of course, found out about Joan's illness, but Cedric demanded it be left in his hands, and as he was the High Priest's very son, the Head Monk of the monastery - Benedict - preferred to yield to his request. Thus, Cedric became Joan's sole caretaker, which put Joan's mind at ease, because this way, she would not risk her secret getting uncovered.

As Cedric frequently visited her and tended to her wounds, the two soon grew quite close, and would often retell different stories of their past to each other. One day, when Incubus appeared in Joan's dream again, in order to get purified by her, Joan asked:

"Incubus, may I ask you a favour?"

"Oh? What is it?"

"You are the demon of dreams and illusions - the one who helps people reconnect with their soul memories... So, could you please, if possible, show me my past life?"

True, it was generally not a custom for people to recollect the memories of their past incarnations whilst they still underwent the trials of their current lives, but the way Cedric cared about her, and acted so soft and tender, just because she had turned out to be his late sister's reincarnation... She absolutely needed to know what his and his sister's relationship was like, to at least somehow repay him for his immense kindness. To at least return that same kind gaze he would so often bestow upon her... Incubus, able to read all of her thoughts, sighed once, and nodded:

"Fine. I owe you thanks for helping me out for so long. I'll make an exception for you."

"Ah, thank you so much!"

Incubus activated his powers, and Joan dived into her deep memories. She underwent her nine years of life as Jewel Ivory, the daughter of Leon and Jane Ivory, and the sister of Cedric Ivory, who was just a year older than her. The mother, Jane, passed away after the delivery. The family greatly mourned her. Leon became a monk, and left the children in an orphans' house, paying them visits only from time to time, as they grew. When Cedric was eight and Jewel - seven, Leon, already promoted to a Head Monk position, demanded Cedric follow the spiritual path too, but the boy denied, in order not to abandon his sister. The frightened Jewel had beheld such an intense father-and-son argument for the first time in her life:

"I am not like you, father! I shall never abandon Jewel! I will remain by her side no matter what happens!"

"Insolent brat! How dare you defy your father's orders?! If you don't follow me, I shall cease to be your guardian!"

"What a humbug! Do as you will. As if you've ever taken care of us! I'll protect Jewel and myself on my own!"

Cedric and Leon indeed cut ties on that day - they hadn't spoken for over two years, and the children grew alone. Then, when Cedric had reached ten years of age and Jewel - nine, an epidemic broke out in the town, taking many people's lives. It was said to be a demonic disease, as even priests found a hard time healing it. It hit the orphanage too, and soon, Cedric's little sister, whose guardian was not an archangel (unlike Cedric's Michael) but instead belonged to a weaker class, fell ill. Cedric greatly agonized over it and begged Michael to come and save her if he truly was his guardian as his father used to say, but the angel was never able to arrive, due to his being an untrained host.

He never gave up, however. He sat at his sister's bedding for hours and prayed.

"Big brother..."

"Huh?" He opened his eyes and looked down at the tiny girl's serene, but sickly, sallow face.

"Big brother, I feel, soon grim reapers will take me..."

"Huh?! No! Don't say such things! You're going to be fine, Jewel, you'll see!" The frightened boy clutched her hand and squeezed it. "We shall live through this, and play in the streets and fields, just like we used to! We will always be together! We will..." Tears filled his eyes as he too could understand that what he was saying would never actually happen.

"I won't make it, big brother, I have little left... But you know, I won't leave you." She beamed. "I am sure that if I explain the situation to angels, they'll let me come back to you... They all are said to be kind, after all, aren't they?"

"They're not." Cedric bitterly clenched his fist. "If they were, Michael would've come long ago to save you."

"Don't speak ill of your guardian, big brother. I'm sure Michael had his reasons..." Jewel softly patted his hand. "I won't leave you alone, don't you worry. I'll make sure to come back."

"You promise?" Cedric sniffed, wiping his tears off while more of them fell.

"I promise..."

Jewel's hand grew heavier in his palms. He once yelled in agony, and then fell upon her body, letting out heavy sobs and whimpers.

Jewel felt she was taken by two entities: a deathly young man with long black hair, icy blue eyes, and black wings, and a heavenly one with blond hair, sky blue eyes, and white wings. She grew surprised - shouldn't it be grim reapers taking her away? Both of these men seemed angels, even though that one on the left had horribly dark aura.

"Oh, hey there, Jewel!" The heavenly man smiled at her. "I've heard your brother's pleas, but unfortunately, wasn't able to do much as he's not yet trained in summoning me. However, I spoke with the High Forces and my brother, and we've decided that since you're completely innocent and just fell victim to a demonic disease, we'll give you another chance straight away."

"Huh? You mean... you're Holy Michael?!" Jewel gasped.

"Yes, and this is my brother, the angel of death, Samael."

"The devil?!"

"Nah, that's just the way he tricks people. In our society, he's quite a respected member."

"If you think that flattery will satisfy me, you're wrong." The black angel snarled.

"Come on, don't be so grumpy! I mean it." Michael chuckled.

"Wow..." Jewel was amazed. "So, where are you taking me?"

"Well, since it's an immediate reincarnation, both of us brothers were needed. Jewel, your next life starts there." Michael pointed her at a tiny hut on the ground once they had flown far enough.

"Have a safe journey and good luck with your endeavours! I hope I won't see you at my abode."

Samael, this at-one-glance grim angel, gave her a kind beam, caressed her on the head, and let her go. Michael grabbed her in his arms and dived down into the house. She was waving a hand at the black angel, and then, everything went blurred.

She awoke. She was in her room back in the monastery, as Joan Mardyr, and the sun had already risen. Reflecting upon all these visions, she heaved a sigh. A grateful beam covered her face:

"Thank you, Incubus... Now I know what to do."