Chapter 36: Departure to the Realm of Perfect Silence

When they arrived in the Black Energy realm, in a dungeon where Johanne had been held not so long ago, everything was already over - Azazel lay on the floor dissipating in darkness since he was dead; Succubus lay unconscious, black blood trickling off her chest; Balthazar had ceased to breathe. His blackened soul barely held onto the living world - it had already begun to dissipate into blackness. Johanne was nowhere to be seen.

"Ah!" Lucy cried out in fright, "What has happened here?"

"Sammy, isn't that Succubus from hell?" Lilith ran up to the unconscious maiden. "The last time I saw her back in the underworld palace, she was trying to help her father reconnect with the light. What has happened to her?"

"Her father is right there." Samael pointed at the dead body and the dissipating soul of Balthazar. "I guess one of my reapers has already done his work with that one."

"But isn't he Joan Mardyr's beloved brother?!" Incubus frowned, "Father, how could you have allowed this?!"

"Sorry, it is my duty to clean up dying souls. It does not completely depend upon my desire whom I cut down. I follow the divine laws. This is what Joan's brother has brought upon himself on his own. I cannot help him in this matter."

"You can't be serious! I won't allow you to kill Joan's brother yet again!"

Incubus wanted to run towards the dissipating soul of Balthazar when he heard Mary's strict, but nevertheless soothing voice:

"Wait, Incubus! What will you be able to do other than harm him further, as he is now? You are still a demon, do not forget that. I understand your deep regard for Johanne's soul, and I also know how Lord Michael always loved Cedric Ivory ever since he was first bonded with him as a guardian angel. So, I shall help the boy." She stepped forward and began to battle the all-consuming black energy that had gathered around Balthazar's soul. "He is not gone yet. I shall bring him back. Meanwhile, you guys follow Isah and get Johanne. We need to save her at any cost. As you might have already sensed, she must've been kidnapped by none other than Tsukishiro - this entire place reeks of his eerie white energy."

"Mary has a point." Michael nodded. "We, the three guardians, need to set Johanne as the main priority, now that we know that she has been kidnapped by the fourth guardian. We shall go ahead. Isah can penetrate through the Realm of Perfect Silence since he's the Holy Spirit."

At his father's significant gaze, Isah nodded and morphed back into a white dove.

"Yeah, let's go!" Lucy clenched her fists. Lilith, Mei, and Incubus too, nodded.

"Not so fast!"

"Huh?" 

They all glanced at Samael. Lilith blinked in stupefaction: 

"What is wrong, Sammy?"

"Mary might take care of a human soul, but this child is our responsibility." He grimly pointed at the unconscious Succubus. "She's not dead, but she needs immediate treatment. Even though she is Layla's child, she is not as dark-hearted as Layla. I do perceive her as my niece, and I can sense her death is near. I won't allow it by any means. Yet, my aid is necessary for the upcoming battle, so I won't be able to stay behind. I'd like to entrust this task to you two." He glanced at Lilith and Incubus. "Heal this girl and stay here to comfort her. Her father's situation is dire and she'll burst into tears when she wakes up. I know her fragile heart way too well."

"What?" Incubus flared up, "I can't stay! Joan needs me_"

"Silence!" Samael hit his scythe to the floor, "You will stay!"

"But, but... Ugh, mom!" 

Lilith heaved a sigh and stood in between the enraged father and son. She consoled Incubus by caressing him on the hair, and then turned to Samael with a frown:

"I understand your pain over the little demon, but Johanne is my niece. I will be enough to heal Succubus. Take Incubus with you."

"No, my decision is final. Incubus needs to stay - his and Succubus' energies are of the same nature. His treatment will heal her faster. Lilith, please... I trust you both with my niece. Trust me with yours. I shall retrieve her at any cost, I swear upon my light core."

Incubus was frowning for a while, but then heaved a sigh and turned around. He began treating the unconscious demon girl. Lilith meanwhile hugged Samael tightly:

"I do trust you. I always did. Sammy... Go, and bring her back safe and sound!"

Watching the infernal family bid goodbye to each other, Yuehong glanced down at Mei:

"Mei, darling, it'd be better if you stayed too."

"Huh? Why? I'm strong enough to travel through the Perfect Silence! I'm not afraid of Long Yuebai - he is just another dragon as many others!"

"First of all, he's not 'just another dragon' but the force of Perfection. He is the very god of all dragons and the founder of their clan." Yuehong furrowed his brow. "Second, I'm not asking you to stay because you're weak, but exactly because you're strong - Cedric Ivory's life is at stake, and he is the very soul brother of Johanne. We don't want him to be consumed by Black Energy. Hence, you are to stay and help Mary. While she brings his soul back, you must aid her to transform him into a spirit. Of course, without my Golden Lotus, the complete transformation won't occur, but you must hold on until I'm back. I know only you can do this since you are my precious daughter, the strongest tailed fox after me. Is all clear?"

Seeing her father's stern gaze full of pride and love for her, Mei cuddled with him. She embraced both him and Lucy tightly with all of her nine foxtails.

"I'll do as you ask! I won't disappoint you, dad!"

"Well then," - Yuehong kissed her on the forehead, - "I'm counting on you!"

Thus, Mary and Mei began to work on Cedric Ivory's soul, while Incubus and Lilith took care of Succubus' wounds. Meanwhile, the three guardians - Michael, Samael, and Yuehong, along with Yuehong's wife - Spirit Queen Lutecia de Lapin, and Michael's son - Holy Spirit Isah, flew off beyond the dark horizons of the Black Energy realm, into the Perfect Silence where Lord Tsukishiro Ryū dwelt.