Elven Armies

The next morning the people of Dale woke to barely any food or water. Bard went around making sure everyone had equal share of the little they had, before going to check what Alfrid had to say about the night watch.

"Morning Alfrid, what news from the night watch?" Bard asked.

Alfrid yawned before sleepily replying. "All quiet Sire, not much to report." He stood and followed Bard who had started walking again. "Nothing gets past me."

Bard walked outside the door and stopped. "Except an army of Elves, it would seem." Bard said looking at the elves from the woodland realm who were all clad in gleaming, golden armour. They all stood to attention as the people of Lake Town began to drift out into the courtyard in which they were stood.

Bard walked down the steps and towards the elves. As he approached, they all stood moved to form a path down the centre of the ranks. As he walked through, they once again closed ranks. As he cleared the last row, Thranduil rode into the courtyard astride his large elk.

"My lord Thranduil, we did not look to see you here." Bard addressed the elven king.

"I heard you needed aid." He replied as horses pulled carts where pulled into the square. The people of Lake Town talked happily as the food and water was given out.

Bard walked once again up to Thranduil. "You have saved us. I do not know how to thank you.

"Your gratitude is misplaced I did not come on your behalf. I came to reclaim something of mine." Thranduil said.

Thranduil turned to his soldiers and gestured to begin the march towards the mountain.

"Wait! Wait!" Bards shouted as he ran to where Thranduil was riding. "You would go to war over a few gems?" Bard asked in disbelief.

"The heirlooms of my people are not easily forsaken." Thranduil said without even looking at Bard.

"We are allies in this." Bard said. "My people also have a claim upon the riches in that mountain. Let me speak with Thorin."

Thranduil turned to look at Bard. "You would try to reason with the dwarf?"

"To avoid war. Yes."