+ BINWOO ▎ ANEMONES.

𝐀𝐍𝐄𝐌𝐎𝐍𝐄𝐒:
― 𝚙𝚛𝚘𝚝𝚎𝚌𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗.
― 𝚏𝚘𝚛𝚜𝚊𝚔𝚎𝚗   𝚕𝚘𝚟𝚎.
― 𝚊𝚗𝚝𝚒𝚌𝚒𝚙𝚊𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗.

❀。• *₊°。 ❀°。

ANEMONE HEARTS.
binwoo // word count: 5,739

❀。• *₊°。 ❀°。

As big as the Castle of Azros was in itself, Eunwoo had always found it to be stifling in every way imaginable. The Dungeon was hidden underneath of the structure, built into its dingy basement, but for the young Prince who was teetering on the edge of adulthood, he often felt as if the entire Castle was a prison. It was undoubtedly glorious, with its stunning architecture, grand, crystal adorned chandeliers, beautifully crafted stained glass murals, and its fancy decor. The Castle was the pride of their land, -the gem of their Kingdom. . . But, to Eunwoo, it was his captor, the force that kept him chained to outdated traditions and empty familial bonds.

His Father, the King, was a cold, uncaring man who ruled with an iron fist. Any little mistake that occurred in his presence could result in a multitude of harsh punishments that, more often than not, didn't fit the bill. He was known for his outlandishly brutal maltreatment of farmers for being nothing more than short a few ears of corn or a few ounces of milk on what he'd dubbed as "Return Day", a collection period that took place one day each month. It required all the people of Azros to give a third of their profits to the Royal Family, and they could exact their payment either in gold, silver, or food and drink items.

His Mother, the Queen, on the other hand, was a soft spoken woman with a passive will and a sense of inferiority. She believed herself to be below males, which was the way she'd been raised, and therefore she thought that her rightful place was the spot directly behind her brutish husband. As beautiful as she once had been, her unhappiness had long since gotten the better of her. She still had her outward appearance, but her eyes had lost their shimmer, and Eunwoo knew exactly why, even if he never dared to speak of it. The Queen was spineless, and though she was intelligent and had many great ideas that the Kingdom would likely benefit from as a whole, she'd come to understand long ago that it just wasn't her place to try and make changes.

So, she didn't. The Queen stood idly by, watching as her husband abused his power, and though she knew within her heart of hearts that it was incredibly wrong of him, she kept her mouth shut and never spoke out against the King's actions. Part of it was fear, because she had no clue what would happen to her or her children if she were to speak up to the man she'd married so long ago. The other part was her moral compass, which was very clearly broken and tattered, pointing her in all the wrong directions. The female genuinely believed that it was worse for her to speak out against a man than it was for her to let the people of her Kingdom suffer at his hands.

Then there were the children of the King and Queen. Two girls, both planned to be pawned off on a neighboring Kingdom's eldest son eventually, and one boy, the eldest son who was set to be King as soon as he was married. There were lots of issues that Eunwoo, the Prince of Azros, had with that plan. For starters, he didn't even want to be the ruler of a Kingdom in the first place. Like his Mother, he had a more gentle nature, and he wasn't a natural leader in the way that his eldest sister Jeongyeon was. She had all the qualities that would make for a fantastic Queen; -maturity, a sense of empathy, humbleness, generosity, and Eunwoo truly believed that she had the best interest of her Kingdom's people in mind.

Of course, Eunwoo tried his best to always do the most he could to look out for the people of Azros, but he simply didn't have the mindset of a leader, and he'd expressed that to his Mother once upon a time, but the result was nothing more than the female insisting that he keep quiet and follow the traditions of their Kingdom. His mother told him that he would grow into the role, -that he would yearn to be King as he grew older. . . But at just a week shy of nineteen, Eunwoo felt no different than he had back then. He still didn't want to be the person in charge of innocent lives, and he didn't want to ruin the life of a young Princess just so that he could be married and finally have a crown atop his head.