+ DOJAE ▎ PEACE LILIES.

𝐏𝐄𝐀𝐂𝐄 𝐋𝐈𝐋𝐈𝐄𝐒:

― 𝚛𝚎𝚋𝚒𝚛𝚝𝚑   𝚘𝚏   𝚝𝚑𝚎   𝚜𝚘𝚞𝚕.
― 𝚑𝚘𝚙𝚎.
― 𝚍𝚎𝚊𝚝𝚑.
― 𝚝𝚛𝚊𝚗𝚜𝚌𝚎𝚗𝚍𝚎𝚗𝚌𝚎   𝚏𝚛𝚘𝚖   𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚝𝚑𝚕𝚢   𝚕𝚒𝚏𝚎.
― 𝚙𝚎𝚊𝚌𝚎.

.❀。• *₊°。 ❀°。

DAWN OF THE PEACE LILY.
dojae // word count: 4,399.

.❀。• *₊°。 ❀°。

Somehow, someway, Doyoung had always known that he was going to die young. Call it intuition, precognition, or maybe just a not-so-lucky guess on his part. . . Either way, he couldn't say that he was surprised when he was given the overwhelming prognosis that, at twenty three years old, he had six months tops to live. He couldn't bring himself to shed any tears, even when his mother began to sob quietly in the uncomfortable chair next to him in the hospital room, her trembling hand squeezing his with a vice like grip. Doyoung didn't bother to cry in those feeble moments. . . After all, what good would it do him? Nothing, and he knew that, so the raven haired male didn't allow himself to cry over something that he would never be able to change.

In the back of his mind, he could still hear the way that his mother begged the doctors to help save him, pleading for her only son's young life to be extended. Of course, they couldn't just wave a magic wand and rid him of the cancer cells in the outer layer of his adrenal gland. They couldn't stop it from spreading to his lungs or his stomach. Nobody could, and that was precisely why Doyoung had no qualms about his resting fate. Everything that could have been done to preserve his life had been done, and it had all turned out to be fruitless. So Doyoung took his news with stride, and he refused to live the rest of his short life pitying himself for what was to come.

There's just some things in this life that can't be changed, -and Doyoung had long since accepted that his early death was going to be one of those unchangeable occurrences. Everyone and everything dies at one point or another. He just saw his expiration date as coming along much quicker than others his own age, and the news of such hit the people around him like bricks from out of nowhere.

Especially his lover, Jaehyun, who had been right by Doyoung's side since their freshman year of high school. For quite a while they walked that fragile line of friendship, but eventually, Jaehyun had pressed for something more, and Doyoung had wholeheartedly obliged. Young and in love, the two of them had created a life together. They created something incredibly beautiful, -the type of love that only the luckiest people in the world will ever come to know. In that regard, Doyoung knew himself to be extremely fortunate, whether he was dying or not. In his short lifetime, he met another person that cared for him unconditionally. He met someone that gave him warmth, comfort, and a home inside a blissful embrace.

Despite all the struggles he'd faced in his lifetime, Doyoung knew that he was one of the lucky ones. Sure, maybe his father had abandoned himself and his mother when he was fifteen, just three days after he came out. But the man never laid a hand on him, and at least he still had a roof over his head. At least he still had his mother, who accepted him (not quickly, not fully, but slowly and eventually.) His father could be happy as well, -with his new wife and his new step children, -a replacement for the family he'd burned bridges with after learning that his own flesh and blood was attracted to the same sex. So when his father showed up on his doorstep with a desolate expression, Doyoung did not take to his apology kindly.

"You haven't spoken to me in eight years," Doyoung emphasized that number greatly, "you weren't there when I graduated from high school, when I had my sixteenth birthday, when I got my first diagnosis, when I was the lead in the school musical, -you weren't there. You didn't even bother to call, or send any letters, and you sure as hell didn't send money to help us get by when the medical bills started piling up."