~9~

"I'm so sorry, Jess." Gabe gushes as we walk through his front door.

"You've apologised six times and every time I say it's not your fault." I smile.

"I just didn't think he'd do that to you. I just can't stand the thought of losing you."

"Did you mean what you said when you were arguing with him?"

"You're the most important thing in my life, Jess." Gabe smiles.

I follow him upstairs into his room. It's exactly how I'd picture it to be.

"So, make yourself comfortable and we'll talk."

I sit down on the edge of his bed as he sits down next to me. He pulls me further back so we are both leaning against his headboard.

"Gabe, there's nothing to talk about." I shrug.

"Jess, you tried to kill yourself. I didn't even know!"

"Nobody knew, ok? It's not something I'm going to announce to the world is it?"

"Why did you do it?" Gabe whispers.

"Everything hurts. Everything. It's like the world is out to get me sometimes."

Gabe looks at me, evidently confused.

"What do you mean?"

"Whenever something good happens to me, I get it taken away. I had a happy family, and now both my parents are dead. I had a great relationship, and now I'm just faking one with you."

"There's always a light at the end of the tunnel, Jess. You've just got to push through."

"Maybe there is no light. Some things never get better."

Gabe pulls me into a hug and just holds me for what feels like forever.

"Gabe, I need to go."

"No, stop avoiding me. I'm concerned about you and I need to know you're safe."

"I'm safe. I'm going home to Harry and he will look after me. You don't need to babysit me." I scoff.

"Jessica, you mean a lot to me. I don't think you realise that you're so incredible. You have such an impact on me that sometimes I don't know what to do. Life wouldn't be the same without you, J. Please stay safe."

I smile as a tear falls down my cheek.

"I promise." I whisper.

But that promise was made with my fingers crossed behind my back.