Chapter Three~Another Chance

Iris

I spent three days at an all-girls home waiting for my court date, which was today. My case manager came to pick me up from the house.

I’m wearing a random borrowed t-shirt and some baggy jeans. They wouldn’t allow me to get any clothes so I had to borrow from another girl in the home. We arrive at the court house and I became really nervous.

What if they don’t see a problem?

What if I get in trouble?

What if they put me in prison?

I was thinking a million scenarios a minute and I began to feel dizzy.

“Uhmm Mandy?” I interrupted her talking to somebody  on her cell.

“Yes hun?” she didn’t even turn to face me.

“May I have some water?” she nodded handing me a crisp dollar bill and pointing towards a vending machine.

 I slipped in the bill and punched in the button to receive my water, it fell out and I grabbed it. I turned and lightly bumped into a body behind me.

“I’m sorry.” I muttered slightly turning a shade of pink.

“Hey Iris!” I looked up to meet the familiar smile of a brown haired boy.

“Oh hello, what are you doing here? How do you know my name?” I asked surprised.

He scratched the back of his head looking towards the ground.

“I called the police when I saw him tugging you to your car then I followed you to your house. They wanted me to come speak and say what I saw. They told me your name when they called me for the case.” He laughed halfway until I was called away.

I quickly said goodbye and continued into the court room.

Halfway through who I now know as Kian’s witness report the judge let him return to his seat. They called up the employee who was also there, she soon took her seat. The judge wanted to hear from me so he sent me up.

“Does your father hit, scratch, burn, or harm you in any other way intentionally and often?” he spoke sternly.

I nodded too scared to speak.

“Do you have any proof?” I became red and nodded looking up to the judge.

He motioned for me to show whatever proof I was carrying, as if it wasn’t obvious. I pushed myself out of the chair and pointed to my almost heeled forehead, and then I grabbed the hem of my t-shirt and slowly pulled just under my bra strap. My exposed skin revealed a nasty green and purple bruise of a good size. The judge examined me, seeing previous scars or almost healed scratches, I felt my eyes brim with the familiar salt liquid.

“Alright that is enough.” He informed me letting me go back to my seat.

Kian

It was terrible. She was bruised pretty badly; it made me wonder what else that dirt bag has done to the frail figure in front of me.  She looked so tired; not the sleep deprived (although she was that) but just tired of life.

Iris

A few hours after waiting the judge came back into the room to tell us what the next step in my life is.

“I claim Edgar Locke guilty, with a sentence of 15 years.” Spoke the judge firmly looking from me to my father.

“Also because Miss. Iris is 17 and will be turning 18 next month we will be placing her in a government owned house with two other girls in her situation.” He nodded.

I was pleased with the outcome and also frightened. Living with two girls I don’t know and under constant watch is not my cup of tea. Kian walked up to me and I jumped up to give him a hug, wrapping arms around him.

“Thank you so much for telling the police.” I started crying tears of joy and relief.

“Shhh.” He said rubbing circles on my back which was comforting.

“Iris would you like a ride to your house to gather your stuff? You’re moving tonight.” Mandy rushed.

I looked at Kian with an apologetic smile and he nodded.

“Wait, here.” He handed me a slip of paper with scribbled digits.

We both shared a smiled and one last hug and we parted. I walked out to Mandy’s car and sat in the front seat. She explained to me the rules and guidelines of house to me.

No drugs or alcohol

No painting the walls weird colors

No parties

No male guest over night

No staying out past 12:00

And that was pretty much it. After I turn 18 I can buy an apartment of my own I just need to focus on getting a job. School wasn’t an option considering I haven’t really gone since last semester, but they gave me my diploma because I still had a high GPA.

This could be good for me. No. This will be good for me. I’m excited for a fresh start and a new house.

A/N I KNOW THIS IS PROBABLY NOT HOW COURT AND STUFF WORKS BUT SHHH ITS A FANFIC FOR A REASON! PLEASE DONT FORGET TO COMMENT YOUR FACORITE PART VOTE AND MAYBE FOLLOW??? THANK YOU!!!

I LOVE YOU THANK YOU FOR READING!!! <3