Chapter Ten

Jelani moans softly as her nail tech, Michelle, massages her feet. Jelani has been swamped with work and her dragons. Speaking of, her third Dragon egg hatched.

Two Days Ago....
She had, just by chance, taken the egg to the garden, not wanting to leave it in the house while she trained with Siamak and Bunmi. Bunmi had just shown Jelani how to make the water she can now summon into ice when the leather and scale egg cracked. She watched with Bunmi and Siamak as the egg hatched. The dragon revealed has Tranquil viridian eyes sit gracefully within the creature's hard, bony skull, which gives the creature a terrifying looking appearance. Several enormous central horns sit atop its head, just above its wide, dog-like ears. Several rows of horns run down the sides of each of its jawlines. Its nose is small and has two enormous, angular nostrils and there's a small tendril on its chin. Several rows of large teeth poke out from the side of its mouth and show a glimpse of the terror hiding inside. A long neck runs down from its head and into a short body. The top is covered in radiant skin and a row of small spikes runs down its spine. Its bottom is covered in rounded scales and is coloured much lighter than the rest of its body. Four mighty limbs carry its body and allow the creature to stand proud and arrogantly. Each limb has 3 digits, each of which ends in keen claws seemingly made of obsidian. Gigantic wings grow starting from its shoulders and end at its hips. The wings are almost angel-like, the edges of the skin inside the wings are tattered and damaged and sharp hooks grow from the endings of each bone. Its elegant tail ends in a hammer-like growth and is covered in the same radiant skin as its body.

Jelani looks at her largest dragon and blinks as the viridian eyes stare at her before his face is in her face. She gives it an unimpressed look.
"Atlas. Please remove your face from my face."
Atlas gives a deep growl like sound before nudging her forehead, creating the connection with her.
I am Atlas?
"That is what I named you. Do you not like?"
He stares at her, tilting his head.
I like it. I am Atlas. You are my mistress.
"Well, Bunmi and Siamak call me Queen."
Queen. I like Queen. I am earth Queen.
"Well, are you going to teach me how to use the earth Atlas? Or will I only be stuck with water and fire? Not that anything is wrong with that!"
Atlas gives a deep rumbling laugh before moving forward, beginning to teach Jelani.
Present Day

Jelani looks at her phone when her kimoyo bead bracelet vibrates. She looks at the message that pops up moments later. Jelani figured out how to sync the bracelet to her phone so in public, she could read the messages. It's T'Challa.
Look Up
Jelani looks up and smiles as T'Challa walks forward. He walks over and tilts his head.
"You may."
T'Challa smiles as he leans over, kissing her cheek. She smiles as he sits next to her.
"What brings you here kitten? No assignments?"
"I am in New York for something pertaining the team. I thought I would come see you. I haven't seen you in weeks."
"Missed me?"
"Yes I did."
She smiles. If there is one thing Jelani likes about T'Challa is that he is honest about how he feels about her. Jelani has had her share of men and women, and too many of them danced around their feelings. T'Challa is honest. He had admitted that from the first night he saw her, he found her absolutely beautiful. While he wasn't sure if it was love, he did like her and showered Jelani with gifts. And they were just any kinds of gifts. T'Challa had gifts delivered to her that matched her style. Her favourite is the necklace with a dragon pendant.
"You could've called."
"I know but sometimes, seeing you in person is better."
She smiles before stroking his beard, making him purr softly before nuzzling her hand.
"Finished!" Michelle says and she smiles at her. "Come sit! Nails need to be fixed."
"I know. No need to scold me."
"I will scold till you start coming in on time!"
She laughs as she follows her. T'Challa caries her bag as he sits next to her.
"Any colour?" Jelani asks.
"I like black, purple, and silver."
"I love black."
T'Challa sits patiently as Jelani nails are done. He is looking at his phone when she pokes his cheek. He looks up, grabbing her hand to see the coffin-shaped black matte nails with her ring finger and thumb having two thin lines of purple.
"I paid already. Come on."
Jelani waves to Michelle as they walk out of the salon. She takes T'Challa's hand and he smiles at her.
"Are you hungry?"
"Yes."
"What do you want? Anything particular?"
"I am craving Mexican. Have you've tried Blockheads?"
"Blockheads?"
Jelani grins as she pulls him after her, leading him toward a nearby restaurant.
"Hi! Welcome to Blockheads! How many?"
"Two."
"By the bar or table?"
"Can we have a table?" T'Challa asks.
"Of course. This way!"
They follow the woman to a table near the window and are given menus. T'Challa smiles at seeing that Jelani is wearing the sweater he got her.
"You're wearing it?"
"Yes. I thought you noticed."
"Sorry, I didn't pay attention."
"You look tired."
"I am. Being a King is hard."
"Where is your Queen to help?"
"I haven't won her over yet. Hopefully, treating her to lunch and then shopping will help me get brownie points."
Jelani chuckles as T'Challa smiles. She reaches out and T'Challa places his head in her hand. She smiles. T'Challa is always, wordlessly, asking her to stroke his beard.
"You like when I play in your beard."
"My hair too."
Jelani laughs as she strokes his beard before he takes her hand, kissing it as he looks at the menu with her.
"What are you getting?"
"The Jerk Chicken Burrito with Queso & Chips and a Large frozen mango margarita."
"A steak burrito with the nachos grande with the beef picadillo. And a sangria."
"Someone is hungry."
"My sister said that you would probably eat from my plate."
Jelani laughs and T'Challa smiles.
"Your sister is correct.
The waiter comes over and they order as the man walks off. T'Challa holds her hand, looking at her hand.
"What's wrong?"
"Nothing my Queen."
Jelani smiles at the nickname as the drinks are brought to them. T'Challa takes a picture of Jeani sipping her drink. She winks.
"Taking pictures?"
"Yes. You are beautiful everytime I see you."
"Even prettier than those Wakandan girls?"
"You are part Wakandan no?"
"But I didn't grow up in Wakanda and while my mother did pass her wisdom onto me but I am no Wakandan woman."
T'Challa chuckles.
"Yes: even prettier than those Wakandan girls."
She smiles at T'Challa who returns it.
***
"Is this for your wife?"
"Ah I--"
"Yes," T'Challa says smoothly.
"Well, Mrs. Udaku, this is the ring."
She moves closer and blinks. Inside is a ring and necklace of the same design: a white gold dragon with diamonds on it and a large emerald in the curve of the snake.