Epilogue

"Sophie Foster," Principal Leto calls. I stride across the stage in my blue graduation gown to loud cheers and accept my diploma. "Thank you," I say, and he nods. "Go forth and do great things, Miss Foster. I know you will," he says cryptically.

I sit back down in my seat and watch as the rest of my class is called. When Keefe's name is called I cheer louder than anyone else. This day is going to be overwhelming, and then Keefe planned a date. 

"Linh Song," Dex cheers loudest as Linh walks across the stage. 

"Tam Song," Biana cheers for him. 

"Biana Vacker," We all scream, but Tam the loudest. 

"Fitz Vacker," One measly cheer.

After it's over, we all huddle together for the photo marathon. Then we go home to get ready for the party at Biana's, which she has been planning since freshman year. I put on a red dress with elbow length sleeves and a scalloped neckline, then Edaline brings in a stylist named Vertina to do my hair and makeup.

She twists my hair into some fancy bun thing and brushes gold eyeshadow onto my eyelids. "Stop pulling out your lashes!" She says in a snotty tone, and I narrow my eyes at her. "It's a bad habit, I know, but it's a weird tick that I have, and I'm fine with it," I say, getting slightly angry. She smiles condescendingly at me.

"Okay, so that's over, finally," I say to Edaline. "Yes, and now you have to go to help set up. Since Della's been sick, they need all the help they can get to set up for this thing. I told Biana that you'd be there at three-thirty, and it's three-twenty now, so you really do have to leave right now." I nod and hug her. She pats my back and smiles tearfully at me. 

"How is it that you've grown into this beautiful young women? It seems like yesterday that Grady and I were adopting this scared twelve-year-old girl, and now you're an eighteen-year-old. I'm really going to miss you when you're at college, Sophie," She says. 

"Me too, mom. But I have to go set up, so I should probably leave before Biana blows up my phone with 'where are you' texts," I say cheerfully, and drive off to the Vacker's house. 

"Sophie Foster, you're late!" Biana yells across the yard as I walk in through the gate. "I know, Edaline gave me the 'you're growing up so fast and I'll miss you at college' speech, and the stylist took forever. Sorry," I say, and hug her and Linh.

"Is Fitz showing his face at the party?" Keefe asks, his tension breaking through the easy-going tone of his voice. "Uh, I think he has a different party to go too, or he's doing something with Marella," she says absentmindedly as she strings fairy lights all around the yard. 

"She's too good for him," Linh says definitively.  "I know Linh, but Fitz needs one good thing in his life right now. Ever since mom broke my arm, she's been in a private place to recover, and the party cost him Keefe's trust-" 

"Della broke your arm?" Tam asks incredulously. "Why didn't you tell us? You lied to me, B!" "I know, but I had to lie so I could exist in peace. You guys would have freaked out like you're doing now. Mom was sick, and I'm okay now. It's all fine," She says, her voice cracking.

"So that's why you didn't want them asking about it in Truth or Dare," Linh says dully. 

"Biana, we're supposed to be friends, and you lied to us. We were supposed to trust one another. It doesn't work if one of us lies about something that's a big deal," Dex says, wrapping an arm around Linh.

Biana's face is turning pink. "Is anyone going to support me in this?" She asks, annoyed.

"I get where you're coming from, Biana, but you should have told us. That being said, can we please all get along? This is a party, and we're fighting about B's arm. Keefe and I have to leave at nine, so can we please finish decorating, and then get the party started?" I ask, and they all nod.