sixteen

Sixteen

----------

“You ready?” Kendall asks me. I nod and she starts the engine and we left my front porch, visiting the first house I picked.

Kendall asked me this morning if I’m doing anything and I thought maybe she could be a great company so I invited her anyways. I am still confused about her and Harry though. Maybe I should ask her?

So… Kendall, are you seeing anyone right now?

I think she was a bit taken aback by my question because I could’ve sworn I catch her glancing at me from the corner of her eye.

“What? Why?” she chuckles and I shrugged.

I don’t know… if we’re going to be friends might as well just tell me.

She bits her bottom lip, still un-convinced, before finally nodding.

“Well yeah, I am seeing someone actually, he is my boyfriend. Well I don’t know if he considers me as a girlfriend but… you know, he is really sweet. I love him so much,” she rambles.

What’s his name?

“His name’s Harry. Oh my goodness he is soo cute! We three should definitely hang out together sometime,” she says, getting excited. I felt a bit of stinging on my chest, and I quickly look away and face the window, looking out at every tree we passed, counting them.

“So… what about you?” she changed the topic.

No, I’m not seeing anyone right now actually.

“Really? I totally have to set you up with one of Harry’s friends,” she squeals and I gasp. No. Hell no.

I don’t think-

“No buts honey! That’s it, I’m setting you up, I bet Harry’s excited! But first he has to meet you first,” she says, holding her pointing finger, poking my right shoulder.

This conversation has not gone well.

We pulled up at the first house, and Kendall pull the key out of the key ignition, shutting the engine down. We got out of the car, and she locked the car. We walked along the front porch, and finally reached the doorstep.

The house seller is smiling wide, holding a paperboard on her left hand while showing her best fake smile. “Hi, you must be Emma! I’m Katie,” she extends her hand and I shook it.

“Ready to see the house of your dreams?” she asks confidently, and I nodded. “Be my guest to open it, eh?” she nods her head toward the door handle.

“Ready?” Kendall asks, and I nod.

I put my hand on the door handle and pushed the door open, and immediately know my first impression.