"Thankful"

Although we were slightly behind schedule, Kwame and I were more than prepared to host Thanksgiving dinner at our house

            Although we were slightly behind schedule, Kwame and I were more than prepared to host Thanksgiving dinner at our house. Most of the food had been cooked and the turkey had about thirty more minutes to go before it would be done. We'd stayed up late baking sweet potato pies and apple pies and a red velvet cake which were now in the cake and pie dishes ready to be served after dinner. Kwame made all of the meat dishes and I made the sides, the biscuits and dinner rolls. However, it wasn't just about the food. It was going to be our first Thanksgiving together and it had to be special.

            "Boo," Kwame said while setting the glass bowl of shrimp gumbo down on the serving table. "Are you sure you don't want me to go out and buy some serving dishes for some of this stuff?"

            "Kwame, it's a self-service food table," I explained. "This is different than dinner at Kendall and Chad's where we all sit around the table and pass the food around. If someone wants to make their plate, they come in here and make it and then come back to the table to sit down and eat."

            "Yeah, but I still think it would look better. You know how Kendall is."

            "If Kendall wants to complain while eating free food in our house then he can take his ungrateful ass to Colorado and eat his grandma's bland ass cooking."

            He laughed and said, "True."

            "I'll get the turkey out when it's ready. You can go ahead and get changed first."

            "Do I have to wear the outfit you got me? Why can't I just throw on a wife beater and some sweatpants?"

            "Because we are hosting the dinner."

            "I don't like wearin' shirts with buttons."

            "You looked cute in the one I picked out for your sister's birthday party last week. Everybody thanked me for finally getting you to wear decent clothes."

            "Hold up, all my shit is decent."

            "Baggy this and sagging that is not decent all the time, baby. Don't get me wrong; you're sexy as hell in everything as well as in nothing at all, but you look extra special when you're dressed up."

            "You be havin' me wearin' them nut-huggin' pants though. Pants be all up in my ass." I laughed and he playfully grabbed me and said, "That shit ain't funny. You lucky I love you. I wouldn't let you pick out my outfits if I didn't." He kissed my lips and then put his forehead to mine and stared into my eyes.

            "You won't have to wear the outfit for long. You can put on your wife beater and sweatpants after dinner because you know we're hitting up the stores to catch those early Black Friday deals."

            He shook his head and said, "Black Friday on Thanksgiving. That's a damn shame. And then you wanna wake up early tomorrow to catch the stores that don't have their sales today."