Chapter 4: Rumour Has It (Maya)

"Worst start of the term I could possibly have asked for!" I complain to Georgia. She pouts sympathetically.

"My locker's next to the school's next Bart Simpson," I cry but before I can finish Georgia holds a hand up.

"who?" She asks. I sigh and roll my eyes.

"Josh Martinez." I say through gritted teeth.

"seriously? and you're acting like you hate the sight of him!" She cries, eyes wide.

"That's because I do." I reply, resisting the urge to say, CONGRATS CAPTAIN OBVIOUS!

"What!?" She looks genuinely surprised. "All the cheerleaders, all the girls around the school are saying he's the hottest thing ever! Like a GOD." She gushes.

"Yeah, like Hades, literally bringing me to hell, every time I see him." At this Georgia rolls her eyes.

"Oh come on May, what makes you hate him so much?" She invites me to another rant.

"He's constantly hitting on me, but in the most annoying way. It's like it brings hm joy to see me all angry. It's sick."

"No way. Trust me, he's better than you think. Rumour has it he's going to ace the football and basketball trials tomorrow, at least according to Hilary. apparently he is so built!" Georgia cries. My heart sinks. what is wrong with her! I need some new friends. Speaking of which...

"Where's Tam?" I ask suspicously. 

"Oh right, yeah she's in detention." Georgia shrugs passively. Burning hot flames of rage devour me. Oh yes, I DEFINITELY need new friends.

"WHAT?" I exclaim. She looks at me like I'm crazy. Maybe I am. But honestly, Tamara has now ruined her perfectly immaculate record. And the way Georgia's going on about Josh I think she's been hit over the head. Am I the only focussed one left? I have a clean record, no imperfections. I am vice head to the extra-curricular programs (second to Mrs Bayna) and have passed every test in every class with flying colours. My report card always comes home with STRAIGHT A's it's almost getting old when I open that envelope for my mom. All the teachers love me, I'm in extension Math and English. I got a high distinction in Science and I won the academic scholarship to come to this school! And I picked friends who I not only liked, but who would join me on this journey of excellence.

"Um..." Georgia frowns, confused. I realise I've said that all out loud. "Hit over the head? Thanks May, I appreciate it." She looks up at me sadly. I hug her.

"I am so sorry Georgia! I didn't mean it, I just really don't get a good vibe from that guy. And I don't want a detention. Look, it's not you that's been hit over the head it's me. I'm insane, I need everything to be perfect all the time and you must hate it." Georgia nods. "But that doesn't mean I'm going to stop!" Georgia smiles and throws her arms around me.

"I hope not. Although it's crazy, you're my BFF. And one of the reasons I like you so so much is because you are you, just like this. When I am with you I feel like we are the Queens of the school, and because your rants make me crack up so hard." Georgia says meaningfully. It was the sweetest thing I ever heard. 'But still, Josh Martinez is smoking hot." She adds cheekily and I slap my forehead in mock pain. But, I reminded myself, wait till she met him for real and saw right through his male model exterior and saw his true jerk self, that'll keep her away.