Chapter 7: Down and Dirty(Josh)

Adrenaline rushed through me and the excitement glittered in my eyes. Sweat was warm and sticky on my forehead, plastering my hair to my face. I felt some cheerleaders looking at my exposed chest and abs. 

"Hey you play pretty good, you on a team?" Rick asked, sounding as exhausted as I was.

"Nah, used to back when I went to SpringCrest." I answered, leaning back on the plastic seat, a lot like the spectator seats at baseball and football games. This school is pretty rich, I thought, glancing back at the guys around me, some now on my football team and some on my football team AND basketball team. We'd all just come off the field told by our new coach we had made it onto the A team. I felt like a champion again.

"cool, how was SpringCrest anyways?" Jo said and dumped a bottle of water over himself. I motioned for him to pass the bottle and did the same, letting the cool and refreshing liquid wash over my overheated skin.

"Awesome," I replied casually, "of course I hated it because it was school and all, full of teachers and such. But now I kinda miss it. Had a great team, cheerleaders, my reputation, my friends, and we didn't have to wear that Harry Potter uniform to school, we could choose what we wanted to wear so we could be identified from the dorks." The guys laugh around me.

"Jeez I hate the uniform too you know. But this school's pretty big, loads of cool oppertunities sportswise." Justin said.

"Yeah, like this stadium thing, pretty sick." I replied grinning. He nodded.

"Hey dude, wanna practise?" Stevie asked and I nodded and looked around me, everyone else looked pretty game. we shrugged our shirts back on, ignoring the sweat that had now gone cold and unpleasant and strode down the stairs to the oval. I felt exhausted but I wasn't turning down a game, I never did. I dragged myself into a run and found it was extra fun playing with these guys. They didn't play by the rules and there wasn't any referees in sight so we threw in some rough contacts and tackles and ended up puffing and laughing on the ground. I was pretty badly bruised but the adrenaline hadn't worn off and I felt so high, ready for anything. We all tried to catch our breath. 

I knew the guys pretty well now. There was Rick, Jo, Justin, Stevie and Paul.

Rick and Jo were obsessed with football, and played really well. Justin was chilled and laid back, but was srong and lean, and super fast. Stevie was the funny one, making flirty comments about the girls and joking around. Paul was like the straight man, the one that was sensible and got annoyed at Stevie's humour. Which of course made it even funnier, he was mature and came from a rich family who chose to send him here to give him a good education. But under all that he was pretty fun and was in my basketball team too. 

"Wow, man up. don't lie around on the floor all day you wimps. Too sleepy to play some real football, all I saw was you guys warming up!" A voice called out. I sat up, it was Tamara, a few yards away. she had a challenging look on her face, eyebrows raised and a playful smile on her face. I grinned to see her coming, and looked around to see everyone but Rick was too. Rick had a grimace on his face.

I noticed that Tamara was flanked with none other than Maya, the goody two shoes chick. This was going to be fun. 

"Here to get defeated, it's good for the ego you know and I think you need yours taking down a notch." Stevie replied grinning like an idiot. Tamara reached us at last, and sat down next to Stevie.

"And I think you need your eyes opening, because you're living in a fantasy world." Tamara replies, clearly enjoying herself. 

"Okay, enough of the banter, on with the game." I decide, taking a swig of my water before running onto the field. The guys quickly get off their asses and join me.