Chapter 9: One of the Boys

The sky is a pink tinged blue, the trees black silhouettes. I'm at the park, lying underneath a tree as the sunset advances. I'm waiting for Marcia, who's hanging with her friends. Mom made me stay, so I could pick her up once she was done. I hear footsteps. 

"Hey." A female voice says, and a shadow sits down beside me. I switch on my mobile and the light flashes over her face.

"Oh hey dude." I grin, slouching back. "What are you doing here?"

"Did you just call me dude?" She laughs, raising her brow.

"Yeah, you look like one in this light."

"Oh, sure. Just saying that I look totally hot in any light."

"Are you flirting with me?"

"Are you kidding? No way. I was just saying..." She rolls her eyes. "Whatever, but honestly I wasn't."

"Yeah, 'cause you've already got a boyfriend." I reply.

"Oh yeah? Who?"

"Stevie. Duh."

"Why, is he into me?" 

"Do you hope so? Anyway, you're totally hot for him. It's obvious."

"Oh L-O-L! You guys are such idiots. You gossip more than my gran and her retirement home buds. I'm soo not into that prick." She laughs, "But I wouldn't be surprised if he was into ME, I am pretty damn sexy, too hard to resist." She jokes, poking her tongue out. I laugh. 

"Anyway, I'm here because of the skating comp on before. But everyone left, so then I came over to see you."

"Why?"

"Because like we promised each other in Math Class on the first day, we need to get even. So I figured skating competition?"

"Why, did you not win in the previous one?"

"I totally would have, but then this guy wiped out and his mom came over and made us all leave, she thought it was our fault he failed to complete a three sixy." She drones.

"Well, Tamara, prepare for an epic beatdown." I declare. She rolls her eyes.

"How pathetic are you?"

"You're such a weirdo, like your friend: Maya, how come all the other chicks at Sir Campstons are all over me and you two treat me like my sister Marcia does, and she treats me like a three year old idiot."

"Look, I'm not sure what you're used to, but i'm not the kind of girl that goes mushy over the guy she likes, or any guy for that matter. It makes me sick. And I like to laugh, and play sport. I don't like to go shopping and read gossip magazines. It's not my thing. And as for Maya, she just hates you, plain and simple. I don't know what you did to her but she's convinced you're the biggest jerk of all time" She says matter-of-factly. Then she picks up her skateboard and runs off to the ramps. I chase after her.

***

"Why are you panting like a dog?" Marcia asks, finally jogging away from her friends to meet me. "Oh, I guess I shouldn't use the word 'like' because you are one."

"Oh haha, very funny." I puff. I watch Tamara in the distance, as she reaches the top of the hill at the other side of the park.

"Staring after that girl..." She squints up to try and see her against the setting sun.

"Before you accuse me of anything, it's not what you think, she's actually a friend."

"Are you serious?" 

"Uh huh."

"Wow, that's new. On soo many levels."

"Yeah, whatever, Marc, it's time we go." She nods, slips her bag over her shoulder and we go, just as the sun dips behind the hill on the other side of the park.