XIX.

19 | Pure Heroin

Serenity is lying next to someone at night.

Feeling the heat from their body, even if you don't touch. Spooning up behind them feeling their back press into your chest with each breath they take. listening to the little sounds they make as they dream --breathing, a muffled cough, the creak of the bed springs as they shift.

Exodus remembered the light touch of a hand running gently up and down the length of her body. Up the side of her thighs, along her hips, along the side of her breasts and softly down again. drawing images along her back and the nape of her neck. She stayed curled up on her side a little longer, enjoying the capable fingers that glided over her body as if to memorize the parts that made her, her.

At no time are we as vulnerable, as open and unprotected, as when we sleep. Little pieces of ourselves come to the surface without our knowledge or consent and present themselves before those we invite into our beds. In return we enjoy the fragments of their world that are offered up in the darkened hours.

When Exodus awoke midday she was alone. Judging by the coolness of the sheets on the other side of the bed, she had been for sometime. In truth, this was the latest she had ever slept. Most days she was up before the sun lazily dragged itself across the sky. Getting herself out of Fredo's bed had proved to be a task in itself.

After getting out the shower Exodus looked disapprovingly at her neck in the slightly fogged mirror. Her hands lightly tracing over angry red marks. She finger combed her wet curls down until she was satisfied that they obscured most of the passion marks on her neck. Brushing her teeth and then slipping on some clothes she walked out of the room.

-

"You sure you don't want me to make you anything to eat?" She asked Aj.

He glanced past Exodus at his sister who was vigorously shaking her head and mouthing the word 'no'.

"Nah.. I'm good."

Exodus shrugged her shoulders,"Okay." She moved to sit on the couch next to him.

"I'll be in my room if yall need me." Juels said getting up her fingers tapping away at her phone.

The television played in the background but Aj kept Exodus entertained, laughing at the things that came out of his mouth. Somehow they got on the topic of girls and his type.

"You cute and all Exodus but you aint my type, for one your too young."

Exodus raised her eyebrow in surprise. "Young? Boy I'm older than you."

"I like them thirty and up."

"You're kidding right?"

"I'm serious Exodus can't nobody fuck better than an older woman."

"Really Aàron you telling me you bagging women almost twice your age."

"Hell yea, these lil' girls just don't do it for me. older women just like wine, they get better with the years. And I'm tryna' put this young dick in all of 'em."

Exodus had tears streaming down her face how hard she was laughing. something was seriously wrong with this entire family.

-

Fredo decided to swallow his pride and make things right with Juels. So when he reached home he found himself begrudgingly knocking on her room door.

"Come in."She half yelled from the the other side of the door.

She was surprised to see Fredo on the other side but said nothing as she was still somewhat mad at him. Fredo sat at the edge of the bed next to her feet. They were both silent.