Chapter 11

They continued flying for days until they reached the back of the spine, since the Kull attack only a handful of Ra’zac had attacked. Of course this time they had been on their guard so it was easier to take them out.

            “So when can we cross the sea?” Oromis asked.

            Everyone turned their attention to Eragon and Kuthian, Eragon turned to Kuthian though and nodded. “Once we start flying out there we won’t have anywhere to land. We have to wait until we’re rested up now so we can make the trip.”

            “Wish dragons could swim…” Orelel sighed. “Then at least they could rest and we would still be moving.”

            We can swim. Brazen’s voice echoed through their heads. But there are certain creatures in the water’s depths that should remain there.

            “What does that mean?” Toron asked.

            Danger lurks in dark places; Bid’Doum and I could sense their primitive minds. All that lurks there is malice. 

            Orelel and Toron gulped and went silent. The other dragons landed with their kills and began to eat while their riders tried to ignore the tearing sound of flesh and enjoy their own food. Eragon took first watch while the others started to fall asleep, the fire cast long shadows around the small clearing they were in making it easy for anything to ambush them.

            “When should we tell them?” Eragon whispered to his partner.

            First you must choose their leader. Bid’Doum replied. But we must be sure they are safe here before leaving to keep other lands safe.

            “I know…” He stared at the flames before continuing. “So who do you think it should be?”

            Bid’Doum thought about it for a moment. Kuthian is wise and Brazen has a good temper. I believe they will make a nice replacement.

            “I was thinking Emeril… after Pyra died she could use something to get her mind off it.”

            His dragon growled causing Styx to raise her head. Is something attacking?

            No everything is fine. Bid’Doum assured her.

            Eragon waited until Styx was sleeping again before speaking. “What about Jacques and Styx? He was tr-”

            No, Styx is too quick to jump into a fight! Kuthian is the one!

            “Okay, okay.” Eragon agreed quickly. “We can tell him once we get there then.”

            Bid’Doum let out a satisfied humming sound before continuing to scan the area for danger. When the moon was halfway across the sky Eragon woke up Anu and his dragon Sakura to take their place in watching over the camp. Bid’Doum fell into a deep sleep and Eragon felt him snoring, he smiled slightly before drifting off as well.

            “Time to go guys the sun’s coming up!” Anu shouted.

            Eragon jerked away and saw dawn light appearing over the horizon. “Pack quickly I want to get there by dark if not sooner!”

            He watched as the others quickly got their things together and finished putting out the fire. Jacques was helping Emeril up onto Styx’s back and rode over to him closely followed by the others.

            “Okay, let’s go.” Eragon commanded.

            Bid’Doum crouched down so he could climb on before standing up quickly and spreading his wings for take off. Eragon cast a look back at Glaedr, he was the smallest dragon and he didn’t know how the golden dragon would hold up in the flight to come.

            The little one will be fine. We are stronger than our size may suggest no matter how young.

            With Bid’Doum’s reassurance in his head Eragon let him take off and the others followed him quickly, excited to see the new island they would soon call their home.