Chapter 14

A few months later the wild dragons had gone back to their home in the desert and the city was almost finished. Eragon watched from Bid’Doum’s back as Emeril continued using her magic to finish the designs on the training area, hatchery, and other various buildings around. Jacques finished showing Oromis some spells before leaving him to practice and going over to help Emeril who, Eragon had recently found out, had shown how much he meant to her. Wing beats went over head as Toron and Orelel flew over head to patrol the island before another set flew by as Anu’s dragon Sakura landed beside them.

            “You asked for us.” Anu spoke up.

            “Yes. Fly with us… we have things to speak about.” Eragon nodded and Bid’Doum let out a huff of air as he took off.

            I still think we should wait for more riders to choose from. Bid’Doum commented.

            “We can’t wait forever. Besides I think we can trust Anu to lead them for years to come. Besides don’t you wish to see what lies beyond Ellesmèra?

            Yes, it could increase our knowledge of what is out there… more friends or enemies…

            “So why are we here?” Anu asked as Sakura flew up beside Bid’Doum.

            Eragon didn’t answer for a few minutes but finally turned to face the young elf as they flew into the cloud layer. “To talk. Change is coming… big change.”

            “What do you mean? Are we under attack?” He asked in alarm.

            “No. But remember I won’t always be around.”

            “Are you dying?”

            “No, I’m just saying you will all have to be able to take care of the Riders once I’m gone.”

            Anu gave him a confused and felt Sakura’s own curiosity in his mind. “Why are you only telling this to me?”

            “Because Bid’Doum and I think you would make a great leader for the Riders once I leave.” Eragon explained.

            You are brave, trustworthy, loyal, and levelheaded. I believe you can lead the Dragon Riders to greatness. Bid’Doum spoke into their minds.

            “Really?” Anu asked in wonder.

            It is an honor to be chosen by you.  Sakura said back humbly.

            “We should go back. I would like to leave as soon as I can.” Eragon told them.

            “What, but… we need more training.” Anu protested.

            “No you don’t. You are all great riders I can see that in all of you.” Eragon smirked. “I know you’re smart young elves, if you need to get something done you will find a way.”

            They flew back down and Bid’Doum used his mind to call all the riders and their dragons to the main building. Everyone gathered below looked around confused as Eragon stood with Anu beside him.

            “What’s going on?” Orelel voiced everyone’s thoughts.

            “I am leaving with Bid’Doum to explore the lands beyond Ellesmèra and don’t know when we’ll return. Anu here will take my place to lead you in my absence, before you speak, let it be known that Bid’Doum and I have thought abound our replacements for a long time and agreed that Anu and Sakura are the best to lead us.”

            They turned to each other and started muttering quickly among themselves before Bid’Doum’s loud roar silenced them. Eragon cleared his throat and turned to face Anu. “Anu, do you promise to uphold your rank as the new leader of the Dragon Riders and do everything in your power to keep the peace within this land?”

            “Yes. Vel eïnradhin iet ai Shur’tugal.” Anu replied bowing slightly as he twisted his wrist over his heart. In their minds Sakura repeated the phrase except replied Shur’tugal with Skulblaka as she bowed her head.

            “Anu, Sakua, it is our honor to announce you as the new leaders of the Dragon Riders.” Eragon finished.

            Bid’Doum laid down so his rider could climb into his saddle before standing back up and spreading his wings. Styx let out a growl before walking forward and staring up at the white dragon, Jacques ran up to his dragon’s side and climbed quickly into her saddle.

            “Wait, we want to come.” He called.

            Eragon looked down at him. “Your place is here, with your friends.”

            “I want to come… I wish to see the beyond with you.” Jacques insisted.

            Let the young one come. Bid’Doum told his rider. We could use the help and they’ll only follow us.

            Eragon sighed and turned back to Jacques. “Fine, get your things and meet me at the beach where we first landed.”

            Styx took off, nearly making her rider fall off her back, before landing outside his house and impatiently waiting for him to get ready to leave. A few moments later Spectre landed with Toron who jumped down and ran inside.

            “Why are you leaving? You’re my brother and a prince of Ellesmèra, we need you here.” Toron argued.

            “Dellanir is Queen and I’m sure if anything happens to her you can take over.” Jacques replied. “Besides, Styx wishes to go and I am curious as to what could be in the beyond.”

            “But…”

            “Don’t worry I will come back. I promise.” Jacques reassured him before walking out the door and flying off on Styx. Leaving Toron to stand in the empty house.

            “Jacques you’re leaving me?” Emeril asked Jacques through his mind.

            “Come with me.”

            “I can’t. I’m staying here to finish Vroengarg’s city… we were going to finish together.”

            “Then I am sorry to break that promise.” Jacques blocked his mind off from her although he was sure she felt his pain before he could, that was one of the hardest things he had ever done and all for Styx’s happiness, she wanted to go so he was going. Jacques located Emeril’s mind one last time. “Emeril I will love you past eternity. I will never forget you… please forgive me.”

            Her only response was the feeling of understanding before they blocked each other again. Eragon looked at Jacques with pity before speaking. “Ready to leave?”

            Jacques nodded, not trusting himself to speak, and they took off towards Alagaësia and eventually into the unknown.      

Hey after this chapter I can now start the after Inheritance Cycle series though I'm still working on this series. I made a dragon and wyvern rider making book and would love it if you commented to make one for my new story.