Chapter 9

"Okay so let's get you measured first! Sound okay?" Shelby walked ahead of me and over to a hook on the wall holding a few thin pink streamers

"Okay so let's get you measured first! Sound okay?" Shelby walked ahead of me and over to a hook on the wall holding a few thin pink streamers. I stood there awkwardly while she takes one of the streamers and begins to walk towards the dressing rooms.

I guess that means to follow her.

Entering the room all I could see was the bright pink doors. The room was almost like an oval shape and the walls had a black and white stripe pattern. In the middle of the room was a oval couch "Just a quick question, what kind of bra are you wearing right now?" Looking down at my orange sweatshirt I knew that this trip was already for Sophie's awkward train.

"Uhm I am not sure really

"Uhm I am not sure really. My mom got this one for me. Most times I don't wear this anyway."

"So I am guessing you have no idea what size you are?" She says as she pulls me to stand in front of her. I shake my head no. Shelby smiles and pushes her hair behind her ears "that's completely fine! I can help you figure that out." she gently places her hands under my arms "lift." she says and I quickly throw my hands up over my head. Startled Shelby takes a step back and stares at me for a moment. Suddenly she bursts out laughing and shakes her head "No kid I meant like this" Shelby raised her arms up to be level with her shoulders, almost like a giant T.

I could feel my cheeks turn a little pink and lowered my arms down to copy her pose "oh" Shelby smiled again and reached around me with the streamer. Looking closely to the streamer I could see numbers and letters on it.

Okay so not a streamer but a measuring tape?

"Don't worry about it. Okay so first I am going to measure around you first." She was quick relatively painless if you could say that. She moved on from around my ribs to up higher "now your bust" she says quietly. Shelby had concentration in her eyes when she stepped back she put the measuring tape around her neck.

"Looks like you're a 34A, maybe a 34B depending on what time of the month it is." I stood there with my arms still in the T position looking at her like she's crazy.

34A? 34B? What in this good world is she saying?

"You have no idea what I am talking about do you?" Lowering my arms I shake my head no again.

Gosh I wish I could just go home. This sucks!

Taking a deep breath Shelby hands me a black mesh bag with the stores logo on the straps "oh honey thank goodness your Mother brought you in! You need some serious help."

Leaving the dressing rooms we walk to the back right of the store first. Mannequins sat on shelves and modeled bras that all looked way bigger than what I am blessed with. Multiple colors, patterns and fabrics, it was almost sensory overload for my eyes. Shelby stopped in front of a mannequin and pulled out a drawer that was under it. "Okay, I am going to give you the necessity run down first." Turning around to face me Shelby held in her hand three bras. One white, one black, and one nude. "Alright kid, these are your go to everyday bra that you can wear under almost everything. If you don't know what bra to get, start here. It's called our T-shirt bra." Handing the three over to me I quickly push them into the mesh bag in hopes to hide them.

Moving over a little we got over to some more bold colors and patterns. Shelby pushed another bar into my hand. It was a neon green spandex with black bands around the rib band and arm straps. "This is a sports bra, I guess you know what those are, anyway these are good for sports or any athletic activities." Nodding I put that bra into the bag.

We walked around like that for a while. Looking and grabbing the necessities. We went through the whole store and by the time we were done I had seven different bras and six different kinds of underwear.

"Okay Sophia we have gone through the basic necessities. Now it is time for the fun part. You know what everything is and your Mama said that there isn't a limit so you can stock up on what you really want." Shelby took the bag from me and looped her arm through the straps. My eyes scanned the room then landed back on Shelby. This is too awkward.

"Do you want to know something embarrassing about me?" Shelby leaned against the table holding an array of sweatshirts. "When I was twelve my mom brought me here too. I never wore a bra before that and I was so overwhelmed that I froze with shock. The worst part about that is that we had to bring my younger brother with us. One minute I am in the dressing room getting fitted. The next I see my brother running around the store with a black lace thong on his head! Moral of the story I work here now and I keep my brother out" I couldn't help laughing a little and grabbed a neon green sweatshirt off the table.

 The next I see my brother running around the store with a black lace thong on his head! Moral of the story I work here now and I keep my brother out" I couldn't help laughing a little and grabbed a neon green sweatshirt off the table

"You like that?" Shelby stood up straight and looked at me wide eyed. I meekly smiled and handed it over to her. "Well if you like that then you have to get the matching leggings, thong, and bra!" Shelby was off into the store before I could even stop her.

Wait, thong?